This topic is locked

Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
magiceye
magiceye
183 posts

Re: H A W K L O R D S ? 2 0 0 9
Jan 14, 2009, 22:42
Which is probably how they can justify making both events all-dayers, and particularly the H'lords one.

I'm starting to look forward to it now...
Mule
Mule
588 posts

Re: H A W K L O R D S ? 2 0 0 9
Jan 15, 2009, 08:27
I notice Space Ritual are doing a 100 Club gig at the end of Feb. Might be an interesting warm up. Hopefully, if Davey's there he won't recognise me form my (now 23 year old) avatar on here! (That's not to say I haven't kept my looks!)
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Re: H A W K L O R D S • 2 0 0 9
Jan 16, 2009, 01:26
I am only nearly 49, so I cant profess to have "been there" since the year dot...but no, my "on balance" siding with Brock is not at all based on this thread?!
I do think that Brock is pretty much Hawkwind..he's kept the whole show going for the duration - let's face it no-one from Space Ritual Inc. could have done that. It is though, a real shame there has been this falling out between band members over the years.
Space Ritual are a good show..but, like Hawkestra etc, they are trading under the Hawkwind brand...and many unenlightened people would expect Brock to be there at the show.
Mule
Mule
588 posts

Jan 16, 2009, 08:39
Hawkwind are a product of their times, they've always had a fluid line-up, and I suspect few people would have it any other way. They set out by pushing boundaries, so one can't have expected them to stay that way forever.

For myself, I for a long time have not been that keen on where they've been going. But it's more the comments that have been made by various members, and are on record, that form my opinions. and Carol Clerk's excellent book, of course!
Alan in Devon
Alan in Devon
47 posts

Jan 16, 2009, 14:25
Ah yes, Carol Clerks book ...I can't quite beleive some of the goings on over the years. It is apparent that Dave has been pulling the strings over the period but has it been done in a Hawkwind like way? No, according to 95% of the people quoted in this book . So do the current band called Hawkwind in any way resemble the spiritual peoples band who caught the imagination of us all in the early 70's A big NO has to be the answer. Brock was the guy who used the legal system to thwart the other guys doing what they are well entitled to do ..ie Use the name Hawkwind.

Also regarding Carol's book , i dont think anyone should enter into a debate about Hawkwind without having read this book a few times. I beleive this as close to the truth as we can get ! So, let the Hawklords get on with taking back what is rightfully theirs ..and Dave can see how popular he is by the guests who attend his 40th anniversary gig !
Witch
31 posts

Jan 22, 2009, 20:38
Hawkwind/Hawklords, hmmm, lot of ego's at work here me thinks. Unfortunately, we aren't living in a hippy utopia and music is a commercial proposition, it has to make money to function and it has to be run like a business, no matter what your concept of Hawkwind is... it is still a business. Financially, you also have to consider that Hawkwind does not have huge commercial worldwide sales of it's output, it has survived via other means, touring, etc. Brock, a very shrewd cookie (probably due to his time spent busking), had an ethos that if the band did well on a tour, or if record sales were reasonable, then the band would be able to commit itself to some benefit gigs, that is sound economics. What is it about ex Hawkwind members? why do they have such an axe to grind, they're all very capable and competent musicians, so move on. Some love to portray Brock as the ogre, but do they really think they would be gigging/touring, functioning as Hawkwind spin-off's, etc, if Brock hadn't of kept the mothership going? Hawkwind politic's is like the Roman senate, a lot of back-stabbing, a beast divided against itself, so be very careful about who and what you believe. Brock taking the credit for other member's material is another issue, if they're that convinced and have proof then why not sue? That wouldn't have a hope in hell cos' Calvert also complained about Nik stealing the credit for some of his stuff, it's always the problem with a band that has had so many ex-members, revelations and more revelations, but a lot of it has no tangible foundation. You know what, the music biz is a cold fish and I take a lot of the sour grapes story concerning who is Hawkwind and who isn't with a pinch of salt, problem is a lot of fan's are absorbed with it....but regardless of what most folks think I bet it's Brock that comes up trumps.
Alan in Devon
Alan in Devon
47 posts

Jan 22, 2009, 22:19
Well with a name like Witch i can only assume you're either Kris Brock or one of her relatives !
skullfacedog
12 posts

Re: IT'S NOT THE HAWKLORDS 2009
Jan 23, 2009, 01:57
It saddens me to read above the obviously biased drivel against Dave Brock spouted from someone who has decided to take it upon themselves to post such misinformed poison. Don't believe the Hype readers! Goebbels thought it was a good idea at the time too. I'll gladly hand you the pill myself you pathetic little man.
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 06:48
I think people should just enjoy the show and forget the politics...Hawkwind isnt hawkwind with brocky but I know the other guys like harvey and Nik are great guys..so just forget whats gone on and enjoy it....
Having said that we played with Brock's Hawkwind in 2006 and they were incredible.....
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 06:50
and at last.....

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/128329/Warrior-on-the-Edge-of-Time/Product.html
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] This topic is locked

Unsung Forum Index