Jan 23, 2009, 09:19
I think Brock would've done good if he'd named his version Hawkwind II

(Colosseum II comes to mind) ......
Alan in Devon
Alan in Devon
47 posts

Re: H A W K L O R D S • 2 0 0 9
Jan 23, 2009, 09:27
Firstly this is not 'misinformed drivel'. And secondly how can you ignore the politics? Is this simply about music or is it about ethics and a way of life? This is a tale of deceit conducted over a 40 year period and if you don't know what is going on it's you, my friend, who is misinformed. Headline would be ..'Dave Brock leader of anti establisment band Hawkwind uses the legal system he does not believe in to cheat on his friends'
Open up your eyes man !
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2009, 10:44
Jan 23, 2009, 10:24
This is just out of interest cos I want to know so don't bite my head off; can you tell me why various ex-members of Hawkwind suddenly decided that they wanted to be called "Hawkwind", or some variation thereof,literally decades after they'd left the band that Brock has kept going all these years? I mean, above and beyond all the acrimony and legal wranglings, it does strike me as an odd, if not wilfully perverse, thing to do given the timescale involved. I mean, at least one of the ex-hawks claiming to be in the "proper" Hawkwind was only ever in the band about three or four months tops and that was over 30 years ago.

To use an analogy, it's a bit like Bernie Marsden or Micky Moody suddenly deciding that "Hey, we're Whitesnake not David Coverdale's lot" despite not having been in the band for 20 years or more. Or Fast Eddie Clarke and Phil Taylor deciding that they're actually Motorhead all of a sudden.

And yes, I have read Carol Clerks excellent book. Again, I'm interested to hear your take on this.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 10:59
In parts, this has been one of the best pissing up the wall threads we've had in ages.

Well done!
Alan in Devon
Alan in Devon
47 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 11:07
Yes moon cat ..The main members of Hawklords have been playing 'hawkwind' music all of their lives..Nik wrote loads of it and as a founder member of the band must be entitled to use the name. Nik was ,in my opinion, cheated out of this right. Legal means ,as you know, were used to stop Nik using the name.
Alan Davey has been in Hawkwind since 1984 and has been a major force in the band. See Dibbs struggling badly to imitate him. He has made his living playing and writing Hawkwind songs.
Nik is widely seen as the 'sprit' of Hawkwind and is probably the icon most people remember Hawkwind as from silver machine days ! The Hawklords name is in tribute to Bob Calvert who undoubtable would be playing along with these guys at the Roundhouse. Let the people choose not the courts !
And if you read that book who wrote Master of the Universe in your opinion ?
And i never took your head off ...lol
Alan in Devon
Alan in Devon
47 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 11:14
Vybik Jon wrote:
In parts, this has been one of the best pissing up the wall threads we've had in ages.

Well done!

This arguemant has been going on for 40 years so glad you're enjoying it! ...

And an addition to my last answer ..i believe the catalyst to the Hawklords was Alan Davey leaving hawkwind !
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2009, 11:49
Jan 23, 2009, 11:39
That still didn't really answer my question. Whether people see Nik Turner as the 'spirit of Hawkwind' is probably down to opinion and also I imagine that age plays a big part of it. What I mean by that is that, being the age I am, the Hawkwind I have had most exposure to has had Dave Brock at the helm with sporadic live appearances from Nik Turner (and Bob Calvert as it happens , just the once but I'm glad he appeared). Dave Brock is one constant that's on all the albums. And it's not as if the various ex-members have been out there representing Hawkwind all through the late 70's to the 90's and beyond. I mean Nik Turner had Inner City Unit going for ages so he obviously wasn't that bothered about being "the spirit of Hawkwind" then was he?

Having read the aforementioned book the impression I garnered from the whole Hawk-mess (now there's a name for a spin off band!) is that whilst Brock does indeed come over as a bit of a moody, shifty breadhead, to use appropriate parlance, and I don't think he does himself many favours in his conduct regarding members been and gone, I don't think Nik Turner comes over as a saint either. On every occasion where he's questioned about his activities, he seems to lapse into some "Well, maybe I was naive.." or "I just thought why not..." zone of comfort as if by turning on the vaguely hippy, whimsical free-spirit charm he can go about causing mischief without any sense of consequence and blame. And whilst I have no doubt his intentions regarding the whole 'free spirit' thing are genuine and heartfelt, I do get the impression there's a certain amount of glee involved when he does something that possibly encroaches on and even impedes the 'official' Hawkwind, but when pulled up on it he goes "Well I didn't think anyone would mind".

I dunno - I think its all a shame and all a bit silly really. As a Hawkfan I'm saddened by it all. It's like being caught between a Brock and a hard place (sorry!)

I'm sure the Hawklords thing will be great and I'm actually seeing Hawkwind in May (I think!)
Mule
Mule
588 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 12:04
Yeah, it is all a bit unseemly. Breadheadedness is certainly a key factor throughout the saga. But had they all spent the 60s and 70s looking after their pension funds instead of taking drugs and playing rock'n'roll, they wouldn't be the band we all know and love, right?

Perhaps all their money worries would be solved if they pitched their story as a soap?!

Now that'd be worth watching!

Peace & love! Peace & love!
Alan in Devon
Alan in Devon
47 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 12:10
We pretty much agree on things moon cat. I think you have the gist of the arguement. I would say that Nik would have stayed with Hawkwind if he hadn't been sacked. I think he has a wicked sense of humour with his comments like the ones you mentioned. I also think he deserves the 'expensive clown' tag. However if you take away the contributions to Hawkwind from Nik, Calvert, Alan and possibly Dave Anderson you dont really have a lot left in my opinion. If you go to see em in May check out which numbers are actually Brocks.
Have you watched the interviews on the Satyricon dvd ? Interesting !
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jan 23, 2009, 12:30
Jan 23, 2009, 12:11
Oh well, I'm sure the saga will continue into the unknown. Anyhoo, I'm off to bag the legal rights to Hawkmess before Turner or Brock get 'Wind of it. Snark!
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] This topic is locked

Unsung Forum Index