Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Alan in Devon
Alan in Devon
47 posts

Re: H A W K L O R D S ? 2 0 0 9
Jan 24, 2009, 10:54
Moon Cat wrote:
Holy Moley! Can you imagine just how long an improvised space rock jam by The Hawk Pontificators would go on for? You'd probably need a new quantifying measure of time to accomodate it.

Well it provides a meaning to life ! Lots of new stuff appearing on Hawklords myspace!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=425202442

Enjoy
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Re: H A W K L O R D S • 2 0 0 9
Jan 24, 2009, 11:25
Witch wrote:
In reply to Earthling Fred...Yep, used to stay at Harvey's too when he lived just outside Barnstaple. Lovely bloke Harvey, good musicians, always skint and he had smelly feet at the time too, bless him. Remember him taking us up all these country roads in a beaten-up old banger Dave had given him, he drove like a lunatic, visions of Mr Toad re-visited, maybe that's where he got the idea for Toad in the Road. Anyhow, he frightened the life out of me, but give him his due as he must have memorised every bend 'cos I reckon he could have done it blindfolded. Tell him that I send him my regards, he will probably remember me as Ande Cameron, I later changed gender, although I still have my giblets.

Ha Ha great stuff...I will Witch...I'll be seeing him soon.......
Witch
31 posts

Jan 24, 2009, 12:26
Earthling Fred, I'd appreciate that. Think his place used to be in Filliegh, just outside Barnstaple. Remember his Wife, Anne, and his kids, got pic's of 'em too (plus all of HW down the years). Remember Harvey used to put us up in this bed that had a wonky mattress, all the springs were gone, all the boing, boing, boing, would keep you awake all night. Don't know about Dave been light-fingered, but a loveable rogue/rough diamond, definitely. Very shrewd Man, when HW weren't functioning he used to buy and sell cars, he was even doing up an old gangster car with running boards when I stayed over in '79, very Arthur Daley. Seem to remember he had some guy snooping on his land, he hid behind a hedge with a baseball bat and leapt out and chased the guy, it was very comical, think he ended up in court over that. His postman used to nick the tapes I sent him, so Dave sent me this illustration (still got it) to let me know how to insert razor blades in to the end of the package. The illustration also had bleeding fingers with the caption 'zip, split fingers'. Think it was all light hearted though 'cos Dave was also in to a lot of spiritual/occult stuff, Steiner, etc. Everybody knew him in the locality, it's all very close and village mentality down there. Peter Hammill from Van Der Graaf used to live next door to him at the time. Used to really like Huw and Marion too, very nice people. Lemmy is an ok person, and Simon King....Think they did the best thing, get as far away from all the bollocks and forge a new path. Lemmy is always very complimentary about Dave, think being fired hit him hard, he's a pretty soft guy really, his hearts in the right place anyhow.
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Jan 24, 2009, 16:04
Harvey lives in Longridge now (near preston) with his sister (I think..my memory is hazy) We've taken him camping with us a few times when we've done festivals and chaffeured him when he's been unable to get a lift.
The last time we did that was in 2007 in Norfolk and Nik Turner came along as he was playing with space ritual...I remember Nik standing stark bollock naked waiting to use one of the bogs with a book under his arm. They both came up to Fleetwood (my hometown) a couple of months ago and played together at a little festival but I missed them....nice chaps especially HB with his headmaster voice...they do feel that they've been had by the HW machine but they dont go on about it......
Witch
31 posts

Jan 24, 2009, 18:13
Nik Turner naked...bet that was a sight for sore eyes. First saw HW at the Isle of Wight Festival in '70, but didn't start getting friendly with them to '76, first time I went backstage was on the AtomHenge tour. Nik was meant to go on stage in a space suit during Uncle Sam, but on this occasion the visor jammed and steamed-up, Nik ventured from the dressing-room on his tod, feeling the way as he was going, he thought he had come to the stage door, opened it and fell down a flight of stairs in to the boiler room. He missed the rest of the set as he was nursing his wounds at the bottom of the staircase, visor still jammed in place....all laughs later though. Most of the individuals concerned with HW over the years are ok people, many (and their is a lot of them) have arguments large and small concerning the band, it's just that many voices make a lot of mischief. Think it's just the music that concerns most of them, but a few have a secret agenda and have the daggers out. I find it all very entertaining, especially considering some ex HW members are pretty pensionable now, you'd think they'd be older and wiser, not concerned with bitter arguments, etc, it'd be good if they could all drop the crap and enjoy the rest of their days in a collective friendship...but they would all need to compromise.
magiceye
magiceye
183 posts

Jan 24, 2009, 22:13
This is all good anecdotal stuff and I've enjoyed it.

BTW Turner told me a couple of years back that the "Saga" book was only the half of it and that he was writing one of his own, with names changed to "protect the guilty" as he put it. I somehow doubt it'll happen, although I suspect that should it ever see the light of day it would put pay to any hopes of reconciliation. Nik might also be mindful of the fact that for 3 years after the Hawkwind court case all the money he earned went towards paying off the case and a lot of it went straight into the pocket of one David Brock.

Onwards...
Alan in Devon
Alan in Devon
47 posts

Jan 25, 2009, 11:59
Suppose this debate will last longer than the guys involved but will still be interesting to see who'll turn up as Hawkwind's 'special guests' at this 40th bash !
Witch
31 posts

Jan 26, 2009, 19:28
Well, considering that over the years bust-ups have been rife between members and ex members of HW, only to find them back in the band again, then I guess it's a case of 'watch this space' regarding the bands 40th. I'm a long standing fan of the bands but I can't understand anybody wanting to use (or borrow) the name, would they also be willing to inherit the hassle connected to its existence....although I must admit Brock has stuck with it and has even improved the bands fortunes of late. I fell out with them in the early 90's, nothing I'd be bitter about though 'cos the good times overshadowed what was a trivial matter....I went on to Dj at Heaven (London), on the first night I got talking to guy who worked for HW, the Dj playing at the time mixed a HW sample, plus I found out Steve Swindells had something to do with the club....Well, I tried to escape, but it appeared the band were going to be haunting me.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Jan 26, 2009, 19:44
I'm not going to be able to make either of the London shows, unfortunately. However there will be Hawkw*nd elements at a couple of festivals my own beat combo may be playing this Summer. Witch, have you any festival plans, yet?
magiceye
magiceye
183 posts

Jan 26, 2009, 20:04
Now look here Kid, you start off a thread that rivals the Silmarillion for length (though this a lot more interesting and fun), almost start Hawk War III and then you tell us you're not going to be at the Roundhouse? You big tease!!

So that leaves me, Alan in Devon, possible Micmacmoc, and some guy called Paul who posts on the Planet Gong website (and even he was wavering cos he was getting some flack from Tim Blake and a few others for his hardline anti-Brock stance). Still, I'll have no trouble getting close up to the stage at this rate.
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] This topic is locked

Unsung Forum Index