H A W K L O R D S • 2 0 0 9
This topic is locked

Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: H A W K L O R D S • 2 0 0 9
Jan 23, 2009, 12:28
Hmmm I think you're being a wee bit disengenous a regards Dave Brock's contribution to the Hawkwind canon past and present there, not only as a songwriter but also to their sound. I mean, I love 'Levitation' the album to bits and that's definitely of the Captain Brock era, and even several of the aggreived ex-members concede in Carol Clark's book that a lot of the sound of Hawkwind comes from Mr. B.

But then you see I got into Hawkwind as callow youth around the time of Levitation's release, so for me that period was 'my' Hawkwind period so to speak. Of course I eventually delved back into the Hawkives and explored the earlier stuff to great delight, but for a long time the Hawkwind I knew on album and live had Dave Brock at the centre of it, and I'm sure that's true for quite a few people.
As it happens things were amicable enough in Hawkland at that time for me to have seen Nik Turner do quite a few guest spots with the band here and there which I'm grateful for.
Alan in Devon
Alan in Devon
47 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 14:16
Ah ..see i've been there from the start, i got Stacia's sweat all over me when i was a 14 year old lad up in Glasgow City Hall. My hawkwind intro were the albums Hawkwind, In Search of Space and Doremi. I believe the early albums were the foundation on which all they have ever done is based. Think you'll find this will be the Hawkind ...sorry lords who will be at the rounhouse in March !
Maybe see you there ...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 14:22
Leviation was my first Hawkwind album then In Search of Space so I kind of had a dose of the mid-period and early at a similar time, but obviously when I was seeing them live it was post-Levitation onwards. Doubt I can do the Roundhouse event unfortunately.
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 16:25
Alan in Devon wrote:
Firstly this is not 'misinformed drivel'. And secondly how can you ignore the politics? Is this simply about music or is it about ethics and a way of life? This is a tale of deceit conducted over a 40 year period and if you don't know what is going on it's you, my friend, who is misinformed. Headline would be ..'Dave Brock leader of anti establisment band Hawkwind uses the legal system he does not believe in to cheat on his friends'
Open up your eyes man !

err...it's about music...simply beacause i've got a FUCKING life and couldnt give a shit and never will give a shit...if the music's good i'll listen to it if it's shit then...
Witch
31 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 19:09
In reply to Alan in Devon....No, I'm not related to Dave or Kris Brock, but that did make me smile. Mandy the Witch is just my Dj title. Knew most of Hawkwind years ago, used to go and stay with Dave and Sylvie in Abbotts Bickington in Devon back in the 70's. Dave can be a bit of a rottweiler, but I got on with him alright, he was actually very good to me....we used to correspond a lot and swap music, still got all his and Moorcock's letters, tons of 'em. One thing that always sticks in my mind is Dave coming to my Mum's in '82 to see me and my Mum kept trying to get Dave to have some of her jelly. Haven't spoke to him in years, still love Hawkwind though, it's just that I got involved in the House boom of the 90's and Club DJing, nothing bitter between us, I'm not like that and I don't think he is either. Regarding Earthling Fred's input....well said, short and sharp, but spot-on.
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 19:30
Thanks Witch.

Incidently I'm a good friend of Harvey Bainbridge's and have played with him on several occasions having a smoke and natter around the festie campfire together and meeting Nik and co. Harvey lives near me so we help him out when we can we the odd lift to festie's if our bands playing etc.

The odd tale has been mentioned about the Brockmeister and how you had to nail everything down when he used to come to your house because the old tinker likes to help himself to your wares and other stories too..he cant be trusted y'know....

I'm sorry, but i just smile about it..I dont care, The hippy dream they lived for so long has sadly bitten them on the arse at 60. They keep on keepin' on still livin' it after the dream has faded....Brock had a survival plan..."I'm not sleeping on someone's floor at 60 fuck that".....

I love the music...nuff said.....
magiceye
magiceye
183 posts

Re: H A W K L O R D S ? 2 0 0 9
Jan 23, 2009, 20:13
earthlingfred93 wrote:
Thanks Witch.

I love the music...nuff said.....

Me too, and as I've said previously, Ill be at both the Roundhouse gig and the Porchester Hall bash come August. When all's said and done it just ain't my fight, and I have no right to sit in judgement on people, most of whom I've never never met or spoken to (with the notably exception of Nik T).

Nothing anyone says here will change history or reconcile warring factions, and none of us really know diddly-squat about what goes on in Hawkwind anyone (unless one of you lot happens to be Brock, Turner or any other venerable, long-serving ol' buzzard). We is just letting off a lot ofmethane here ladeez and gents, although it has been pretty damned entertaining thus far I must say.

"So what did you do in the Hawkwars, daddy" (well if Moon Cat can have Hawk Mess, I'm having Hawkwars).

Anyway, time to stand up and be counted, which of you Hawk-pontificators actually intend going to either the H'lords or the Hwind 40th bashes???
Witch
31 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 21:37
In reply to Earthling Fred...Yep, used to stay at Harvey's too when he lived just outside Barnstaple. Lovely bloke Harvey, good musicians, always skint and he had smelly feet at the time too, bless him. Remember him taking us up all these country roads in a beaten-up old banger Dave had given him, he drove like a lunatic, visions of Mr Toad re-visited, maybe that's where he got the idea for Toad in the Road. Anyhow, he frightened the life out of me, but give him his due as he must have memorised every bend 'cos I reckon he could have done it blindfolded. Tell him that I send him my regards, he will probably remember me as Ande Cameron, I later changed gender, although I still have my giblets.
magiceye
magiceye
183 posts

Jan 23, 2009, 22:13
Now THAT is a top post!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 24, 2009, 04:16
Holy Moley! Can you imagine just how long an improvised space rock jam by The Hawk Pontificators would go on for? You'd probably need a new quantifying measure of time to accomodate it.
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] This topic is locked

Unsung Forum Index