all mono , i hope at least the first two come out
in mono.
Johnny Boy
Johnny Boy
103 posts

Re: 13th Floor Elevators Cd's
Mar 02, 2008, 21:48
I dunno.
I've always understood ( and forgive me if I'm mistaken) but yes, The Psychedelic Sounds of is best in mono and Easter Everywhere is best in stereo.
But now the master tapes have been found and to quote again the Lysergia website
"In case anyone missed it, here's the big news once more: the master tapes for the 13th FLOOR ELEVATORS albums have been found, and most inexplicably they had been sitting unused in the Charly Records vaults all this time, while the label licensed crappy-sounding vinyl-sourced tapes to whoever happened to ask. Watch for the first 'Vator tape trips in many decades later this year"
Maybe this is a moot point coz (hopefully) when the remasters come out they'll blow all the other shit (including the original pressings) out of the water.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Mar 03, 2008, 03:05
Johnny Boy wrote:
I dunno.
I've always understood ( and forgive me if I'm mistaken) but yes, The Psychedelic Sounds of is best in mono and Easter Everywhere is best in stereo.
But now the master tapes have been found and to quote again the Lysergia website
"In case anyone missed it, here's the big news once more: the master tapes for the 13th FLOOR ELEVATORS albums have been found, and most inexplicably they had been sitting unused in the Charly Records vaults all this time, while the label licensed crappy-sounding vinyl-sourced tapes to whoever happened to ask. Watch for the first 'Vator tape trips in many decades later this year"
Maybe this is a moot point coz (hopefully) when the remasters come out they'll blow all the other shit (including the original pressings) out of the water.

This just in, the latest Mojo magazine has a bit about a possible 9-cd box containing remastered albums and a ton of outtakes. Apparently a lot is sourced from tapes Paul dug up in his research. Sounds tasty.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Mar 03, 2008, 14:31
Mar 03, 2008, 03:14
Article mentions nothing about master tapes, though.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Mar 03, 2008, 09:36
Citizensmurf wrote:
marinade wrote:
Yeah, that CD box is good. Everything you need, really, if you're not bothered about each album in its original packaging.

I'm about six chapters into that book, btw. I never realised they were such dropout fuck-ups before they even formed the band!

Ordered the box and a copy of the new Guitar Army (which is mentioned by JC this month coincidentally).

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but everytime I read a music biography, about how these mind-expanding drugs turn into a full blown life crashing addiction, just makes me sad that the cycle continues to repeat itself, and that 'recreational' drugs are so easily justified. Though I love his music, I can't agree with JC about the whole psychedelic journey thing. What he said in Japrocksamper about High Rise not being a true psych band because they're never taken a 'trip' is complete bullshit and in my mind is the same dogma churned out by the christians that you have to accept Jesus into your heart or you are bound for hell.

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to some music fans, but I think music is best made and listened to in a sober state.

Disagree strongly, I'm afraid. In fact, I think I think the opposite! This is, after all, "Psychedelic music" we are talking about. It is written by people tripping for people tripping. The fact that it can still be enjoyed straight is almost by the by.

FWIW, I've got the boxset, and think it is great value for money.
Johnny Boy
Johnny Boy
103 posts

Mar 03, 2008, 10:31
Maybe the remastering was wishful thinking.
Ah well.......
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Re: 9CD box set !
Mar 03, 2008, 12:50
According to this months Mojo....

During 8 years of research, Drummond was able to unearth a cache of tapes, some of which came from the band's producer / engineer Walt Andrus while others came from band memebrs and friends.

It's intended that the tapes will make up a 9CD box set, possibly to be called All And Everything and planned for release in September on the Charly label. As well as their studio albums, it will feature the bands unreleased first LP, previously unheard live material, alternative stereo mixes and outtakes. The latter category will include performances from the band's 1973 reunion and guitarist Stacy Sutherland's unreleased album, often called Beauty & The Beast. " This is the LP that'll get the fans excited " says Drummond. " hearing the material directly from tape was mind-blowing ! Plus there's some material that's never been bootlegged - some real delights ". He adds " Walt was upset about the final mix on Easter Everywhere. He came out of retirement to remaster and remix the back catalogue "

Er, the word 'remix' in the last sentence is a bit of a concern !
Psyps
1 posts

Re: 13th Floor Elevators Box set
Dec 08, 2008, 14:07
Hi....

The 13th Floor Elevators box set has taken ages....but there's reason... all too boring to explain but it'll be out soon ....the latest ,realistic date I have been given is mid March , so let's say end of April? I'm hoping to get Roky back over , but no promises.
The book interior is on the second draft, then it's done.

So, no nasty noise reduction....only person to have touched the tapes is the band's original producer Walt Andrus and engineer Stuart Sullivan ( Daniel Johnston, Butthole Surfers etc)... and Roky joined us occasionally. I' not a music producer , so I kept my mouth shut and pulled together the best team for the job.
The music sounds loud , raw and clean for a change...no over use of stupid noise reduction software - no removing the reverb etc...

I think it's going to retail at £75.00 ...which for a 72 page full colour book ....10 CDs in mini Lp's cover...oh and a pretty box ...isn't too bad ?

www.internationalartistsrecords.com

There's 13 track sampler....you can get it by buying the Golden Dawn/Bubble Puppy reissues , which I had nothing to do with- so I can't vouch for them...or just write to Snapper Music and demand one or say you're a reviewer ?
best Paul
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Dec 08, 2008, 15:01
Is it going to be ltd edition?...I cant wait for it....
dee
1955 posts

Dec 08, 2008, 15:06
I dunno but im off to see Roky Erickson on 18th Dec at ULU and i really cant wait!"!
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index