Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Is/Are Zeppelin Really That Good? Maybe Sabbath...

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Dec 06, 2007, 18:51
Is/Are Zeppelin Really That Good? Maybe Sabbath...
Dec 06, 2007, 01:25
In the History of Heavy, and rock'n'roll in general Zeppelin looms large in myth, sound and deed, but influence? Not many players out there anymore like Plant, Page, Jonesy, and Bonham, if there were, we would know, and discount them quickly. (As in they sound like Zeppelin: Whitesnake, Kingdom Come)

But Sabbath on the other hand, maybe not as sophisticated, but many genres and bands wear their (Sabbath's) influence on their collective sleeves.

And what about Budgie? They were there in 1968/69, very heavy, just never had great production...

Of course Deep Purple's "In Rock", "Machine Head", "Made In Japan", etc have an awesome sheen and brutal efficiency that predates NOWBHM.
Yet there aren't many organists around and Purple's sound is ultimately Jon Lord as great guitartists come and go. ( Funny enough Purple had their Zep years with Coverdale).

And what about Free, heavy in a different way.

Is Zep just a great listening experience with no influence on present bands?

And weren't the Who working on the powerful vocalsguitarbassdrums sound long before any of these?
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: Is Zeppelin Really That Good? Maybe Sabbath...
Dec 06, 2007, 02:54
Zep is certainly open victim to much criticism

If you really want to discount anyone who claims them as an influence, tho, feel free to be that lame

I had some great times driving around as a guitar-playing teenager with tapes of their first and second albums cranked up, also lofi recordings of their live shows at which my best friend and (to this day) musical co-conspirator would sing along with Page's solos and shout "quotable!"

That was around 1992-94

Around then I also stumbled onto records of their first 3 albums which was part of my discovery of why vinyl is better! This was before I got into CDs (and Page's remasters were some of the first good sounding CD re-issues, btw) but the mystique of the old records I found in friends' parents' attics has stayed with me. If they'd had Can I guess I woulda got into that first, but they didn't, so it was Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and so forth until I got out of the backwoods, discovered the internet and was exposed to enough other stuff to develop my own specific taste

I also have to speak highly of (at least parts of) Physical Graffiti and Presence... I don't think they have a single record that's crap, though there's bits I don't come back to. And there's lots of things I listen to more often, that is for sure: Howling Hex, recent Dylan bootlegs, Acid Mothers Temple, the Meters, Les Rallizes Denudes, traditional vietnamese music, african drumming, John Coltrane, Tim Buckley, Six Organs Of Admittance, electric Miles Davis, the Beatles, anything by my friends, you know, things like that

My girlfriend is learning the drums and I am inundating her with Bonham, esp Your Time Is Gonna Come, backbeat all over the place!

I listen to lots of other things, from strange to perfectly normal, and I'll stand by all of them. I don't care if I SEE Led Zeppelin play this time around, I haven't got much interest tho I wouldn't pass up free tix, but I'll recommend the original records for sure!

You of course may listen to whatever you like.

5 out
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 04:45
zphage wrote:
Is Zep just a great listening experience with no influence? What is their influence?

The blues.
I've read that they started out as big fans of Little Richard, too.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 04:58
Actually I was aiming for what their influence on present music is.
And yes, Happy Birthday Mr Penniman, firestorming voice, multiple takes on Specialty Boxes shows he could do it againand againand again ...
and a bow to Mr Esquerita for being such a great influence on Richard.
vince
vince
1628 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 06:24
Two words: Vanilla Fudge. Zep with added cheese ,:-)
Davey_B
Davey_B
408 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 10:16
Led Zeppelin are as good or as bad as anyone thinks they are. It's all a matter of individual taste.

You seem to have some sort of grudge against them. Why I don't know but I think maybe feeling this much antipathy against one bunch of musicians is probably not a particularly healthy thing.

Dave B
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 10:19
ARE Zeppelin Really That Good? Maybe Sabbath...
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 10:44
The thing is that LZ had a distinct sound of their own really and possibly at the time three of the greatest musicians in the universe. Especially with Bonham who imo is the greatest rock drummer that ever was. But what made the sound more than ever was Plant's voice. You cant emulate that without it becoming a pastiche. I've seen local bands obssessed with Plant and Pauls Rogers who try to give it a go with their boogie rock music and frankly they sound like twats. It's not a sound you should try or want to emulate. It has a place in time and that time was the 70's. If LZ influenced anything it was excess and stadiums gigs.

The Sabs influence is harder to explain cos again they belong in the 70's but their is summat about them that makes them transcend musical time boundaries as does the Who.

However, I do think that the Stones love 'em or hate 'em are singularly the most influential rock band of all time. But that's another story.....
Mule
Mule
588 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 11:44
Funnily enough I was having a similar conversation with a Zep-head mate of mine the other night. I quite like Zep, but I'm not a massive fan - I have their first four albums and that's it. But I conceded to him that Zep's chief influence lies in the funkier end of rock, eg. Chillis, Rage, etc. I'm not dropping a particularly long list of examples here, I know, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Sabbath, however, have had an almighty influence on the world of metal, and one that I think no other band can rival. I think bands like the Fudge and Blue Cheer certainly must've influence them, and indeed probably Zep. But the Sabs boiled it down to the base elements that the darker end of the metal, post-rock, art-rock etc spectrum snaffled up.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 12:05
yes Zeppelin were THAT good. and so were Sabbath (with Ozzy at least)
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index