Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Is/Are Zeppelin Really That Good? Maybe Sabbath...

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Dec 06, 2007, 22:00
Re: Is Zeppelin Really That Good? Maybe Sabbath...
Dec 06, 2007, 21:48
It's 1973 and you want to conquer the world with your blues-based extremely loud rocknroll . . . what group would you emulate?

I'm NOT saying AC/DC were "copying" Zep, but in terms of what they set out to be (global hard rock superstars) Zep was obviously the prototype (this includes the "classic heavy rock sound" of their records: AC/DC is sonicly much more comparable to Zep than Chuck Berry!)

The same way the Stones were largely defined in relation to the Beatles (they did the write-your-own-songs artiste thing after Lennon-McCartney got acclaim for it, while simultaneously portraying themselves as a self-consciously "evil" alternative to the mop tops -- the better to scare parents and attract angsty adolescents. Stones pretty much perfected "rocknroll bad boyism", a sure-fire moneymaker to this day.)

Which is a totally different argument than "the Stones COPIED the Beatles" -- but the one couldn't have been what they were except in relation to those that came before -- get my drift?

Zep was a sea change, and AC/DC was part of the wave after.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 22:36
still can't see it i'm afraid. if i'd ever heard a quote from anyone in AC/DC saying they even liked Zep maybe

but their music just doesn't make me think they've listened to any Zeppelin and been turned on by em
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Dec 06, 2007, 22:57
Dec 06, 2007, 22:55
That's not what I'm saying . . . obviously AC/DC knew what Zeppelin sounded like and that they were popular. Doesn't matter if they cite them as a favorite or not.

Zep's main influence wasn't their songwriting or playing, it was their SOUND.

You could really describe AC/DC's sound as "Chuck Berry riffs played at Led Zeppelin volume" -- make sense yet? ;-)

Ted Nugent and Boston were also influenced by the Zeppelin "sound", and Grand Funk and Bad Company and DMBQ and . . . . pretty much anyone that can be called "hard rock that isn't quite metal."
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 06, 2007, 23:54
Zep in retrospect looms larger than they actually did when they were jockeying for position amongst a very healthy late 60's crowd.

Nugent/Amboys could hold their own, as well as Grand Funk.

Tull was who Page saw as his main competition artistically and commercially.

Mutt Lange spoke of shaping AC/Dc's sound by having them stop ending songs by free form freakouts. He imposed structure.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Dec 07, 2007, 00:09
zphage wrote:

Mutt Lange spoke of shaping AC/Dc's sound by having them stop ending songs by free form freakouts. He imposed structure.

er, i can't think of any pre- HTH freeform freakouts to be honest!

and lets not forget. they were far better before Mutt than after
KARL MAX
71 posts

Re: Is/Are Zeppelin Really That Good? Maybe Sabbath...
Dec 07, 2007, 13:51
Duh, led schmepp was started by Keith Moon, John Entwistle and that Daltrey-lookalike singerdude...Then Tommy happened and Moon and Entwistle bowed out.
You can probably find that fact everywhere except ledzepp tribute books by aging Kerranngg or Rollingstone hacks.
Why this unfathomable hang-up over shoddy mainstream acts? Is this the aging-metal-dude-forum? C'mon Budgie?! Deep Smurfle?! Shitsnake!
Ya gotta be kidding.
No lysergics there dude. No madness. No nothing.
Only honkies trying to upgrade AfroAmerican rock'n'roll and greed, greed and some more greed.
And c'mon, this whole UK heavy thang was surely started by Cream.
(Who would have been one of the greatest bands ever, if they had had another axeman).

There are UK heavybands worth the mention: Human Beast, Thundermother, Astral Navigations,Motörhead ao.
Who but the ignorant masses, even fuckin own a Deep Purple lp in here?

And no, I don't and would never let a ledschmepp album inside my house.
Now I gott tank up on drugs so I'm ready for Motörhead this sunday.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Dec 07, 2007, 14:37
'metal' to me has always been the twiddly/stupid shit like Maiden, Dio etc
hedlite
hedlite
375 posts

Re: Is/Are Zeppelin Really That Good? Maybe Sabbath...
Dec 07, 2007, 15:21
of course, it's all subjective init? but for me zep were inventive, broad textured and kind of natural sounding in a way that other bands weren't. of course they could also be daft and pompous but so what? at their most full on, they were on fucking fire.

in respect of influence. does it always have to be something you can 'hear' in someone elses music? and isn't being inspired by something equally if not more important? i haven't conducted a survey but i reckon a very large number of people have been, and continue to be, inspired by zeppelin's sound and energy.

whether or not they are or were nice people, i've no idea.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 08, 2007, 18:57
Mutt Lange gave a series of talks/interviews with BMI (songwriters assoc)
where he talked about working with AC/DC.

He was brought in to break the band big in the U.S. He wanted to record live, keep the excitement. After Scott was done singing, every song ended with a rave-up/freak out with Angus blazing ahead and the band following. Band members would eventuaLLY drop off and Angus would be left wailing. These raveups would be longer tHan the originAL SONG. Lange collected hours and hours of this and made the band listen. He wanted that energy in the 3-5 minute songs. They also listen to alot of Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley and other Chess blues/rock to harness the 3-5 minute structure.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Dec 09, 2007, 06:18
but that makes absoultely no sense

if they hadn't done long jammed out / wailing until christmas type songs before Mutt came in and ruined their sound. why would they suddenly start doing it when he came in to then stop once he said no ?

me thinks Mutt was talking out of his arse

in fact there's no think about it. he's talking utter shite
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index