perfect albums ?

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riotmaster
1563 posts

Re: perfect albums ?
Feb 01, 2007, 15:58
Daminxa wrote:
Did you not like 'Strays' then? I really rated it! It didn't have the same impact as 'Ritual' or 'Nothing's Shocking' granted, but then I'd expect them to have evolved over their 15+ years absence.

the problem was I thought they'd 'devolved'!

all the interesting things had been replaced by tired, been done a million times before clichéd ones

to me anyway
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Feb 01, 2007, 16:27
...can't think of many rock albums - maybe 'revolver', 'forever changes' and 'unknown pleasures' .

Can think of loads of classical and jazz though. ' a love supreme', 'kind of blue', 'sextant' to name three obvious ones.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Feb 01, 2007, 16:29
....plus all the Kraftwerk albums from Radioactivity through to Computer World - there's no baggage on any of them.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Feb 01, 2007, 16:32
"It's like London Calling to me. Over-rated, and - to re-but the usual cliche - no, I'm not sure it'd even make a great single album."

.....it would make a great single. London Calling a-side and Spanish Bombs b-side.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Feb 01, 2007, 16:33
I dunno, perhaps it was just me being nostalgic. 'Strays' hit all the right buttons for me, same as it would've done 18 years ago, but if I hadn't heard 'Ritual de lo Habitual' or 'Nothing's Shocking' all those years before then 'Strays' might not have grabbed me in the way that it did. Actually it probably would - you cannot beat Jane's Addiction for that particular blend of fast guitars and hysterical vocals!
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Feb 01, 2007, 16:36
Yeah 'Thunder and Consolation' is definitely a very strong album. Siouxie - well yeah I can't think of an album I don't like but then again, they always seem to have a track or two that I'm not so keen on. Christian Death I could never get to grips with I'm afraid, same with Jesus and Mary Chain - never did get what all that was about I'm afraid, call me a philistine if you will!
Libertine
27 posts

Feb 01, 2007, 16:38
Radioheads OK Computer
Stone Roses self titled
Beatles Abbey Road (even Maxwell fits in there)
Jeff Buckley Grace
Julian Cope Jehovakill
Manics Holy Bible
and Loves Forever Changes
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Feb 01, 2007, 16:39
I do indeed like that album very much, but have unfortunately been put off it a wee bit by the CD version I've got which has got a lot of remastered nonsense on it and outtake type tracks which I can't get on with, sort of spoils it as a whole, if you see what I mean, whereas my good old fashioned vinyl copy (which I think, if I remember correctly, cost me 50p at a market stall in Dorchester) was a listening pleasure from begining to end.
Libertine
27 posts

and good call with the Stuffies - though always had a soft spot for Hup, as was the first I played to death.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Included here are some comps- (allowed?)

All of the Super Furry Animals albums, with maybe the exception of 'Outspaced' (incredible!)
Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, Time out of Mind-Dylan
Rock and Roll-Mekons
77, Fear of Music-Talking Heads
the first DEVO album
Live at Leeds, Who's Next- the Who
This Are Two Tone compilation
the Anthology of American Folk Music 6 side compilation-Harry Smith
Peggy Suicide, Jehovakill- Julian Cope
Neutral Milk Hotel's first album
Pink Moon-Nick Drake
Odelay-Beck
Death Chants, Breakdowns and Military Waltzes- John Fahey