82 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stensil Head
Stensil Head
201 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives
Jun 06, 2005, 19:16
Oneida- The Wedding
Saw these last week, and picked this up at the gig. First impressions are that it isn't the noisy motherfuckers i've come to adore, they have their 'pophat' firmly in place with this release. Still, standout tracks include Did I Die and Run Through My Hair, which is almost a folk song.
Cover is well lush though.

Oneida - Live Birmingham
Fuckin' 30 people max turned up for this, and half of those were there farting around with the support band 'Help, I Can't Swim' (who were like Huggy Bear, but about 15 years too late!).
Though for all the assholes who missed out cos' NME tour was in town, maaaan they missed out!!
Oneida started off cranked at 11, and got louder and louder (I'm still deaf). I love these guys on record, but live, i gotta say, i was totally blown away. For a 3 piece, they could give anyone a run for their money in musicianship and volume, plus, they played all my fav' tunes, bar 1, so, result!!
Never thought they'd make it to my neck of the woods, so big thumbs up for that alone.

Oneida - Enemy Hogs
Found it cheap, it's OK, not quite up there with Anthems of the Moon or Each One Teach One, but all the requisite parts are in place. Nice!!

Sons & Daughters - Dance Me In singles
Fuckin ell', this is a blast, Nick Cave meets PJ down the skiffle yard. Pity it probably won't trouble the charps with that parpy frog crap on everywhere.
Only gripe....seems you have to buy 2x 7" singles plus a CD single if you want the full range of B-Sides...fuckin rob dog cash-ins. :(

Neils Children - Always the Same singles
As above, if you want the B-sides, you gotta fork for 2x7" + a CD single bah!! i did too. Mind you, i do love this lot...bit more 'Banshees' sounding on a few of these, but great post punk noise non the less, for 'authentic' sounding new wave, for me, these guysa re the tops.

LCD Soundsystem - Disco Infiltrator 7"
Wow, noiw here a slab of plastic like i haven't held in years, must be 100gms on it's own. B-Sides agreat cover of Souixsies Spellbound which they did live last time i saw em', s'a good version too.

Speaking of which...

Siouxsie & The Banshees - JuJu
Think this and Kalaidoscope are my fav' Banshee's albums,and they still sound good even today (or maybe in spite of today would be more to the point, with more 'new wave' wannbies than you can shake a stick at).

Sleater Kinney - The Woods
In a bizzare Cope synchronious moment, i got this last week. Uunlike his Copeness, i don't rate it that highly, though truth be told, i've only played it a handful of times, so it hasn't sunk in yet...first impressions... i think i prefer Le Tigre.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index