82 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives
Jun 07, 2005, 14:23
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin! [1972]
Widely considered by prog fans the best of Italian albums, my enthusiasm for this symph album has waned since I first got it. It still has good tunes, but certainly Il Balletto di Bronzo, Picchio dal Pozzo, Pierrot Lunaire, Arti + Mestieri, et al, are all better.

Bubu - Anabelas [1978]
One of my favorites, an Argentinian album which I have enthused about here before.

Pere Ubu - 1975-1977
Thanks to Lugia, Stevo, and Squid, I went out and bought the "Datapanik in the Year Zero" box for $46.50 (including shipping) from an Amazon marketplace seller. This is Disc A (I'm limiting myself to one disc a week) and includes the originial "Datapanik" EP and "The Modern Dance". How could I have lived so long without "Final Solution"?

Arti + Mestieri - Tilt [1974]
How can such a lighthearted music be so dramatic? A unique fusion album with plenty of symphonic textures wrought by mellotron, vibraphone, and flute on top of the electric guitar, drums, sax, and synths. Spectacular drumming from Furio Chirico really propels this thing, one of my fave albums from Italy.

Zamla Mammaz Manna - Familjesprickor [1980]
This RIO album seems overrated to me. Some of the tracks are really good but others aren't; one even suffers from cliched classic rock guitar lines.

Henry Cow - Western Culture [1978]
All compositions are by Hodgkinson and Cooper, and not as stuffy as most Cow tunes are regarded, with Cooper's tunes in particular flowing nicely.

Captain Beefheart - Strictly Personal [1968]
Just got this recently. Wow, Krasnow really murdered "Trust Us" and "Kandy Korn". Lucky for us that "On Tomorrow" and "Gimme Dat Harp Boy" were left relatively untouched.

Biota - Almost Never [1992]
A blend of folk, jazz, and classical with plenty of acoustic instruments pureed by a lot of processing. Biota are known for an enveloping sonic cloud; this is the earliest album of theirs I have heard where the haze has thinned to the point that full-fledged melodies and tunes emerge. Great stuff, IMO.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew [1969]
Faust - s/t [1971]
Car listening.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index