Soundtrack to our lives w/e 20/03/05ce

89 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Underwhelmed Soundtracks
Mar 20, 2005, 23:11
Hatfield and the North, natch...and, perhaps inevitably, the reformation gig at The Mean Fiddler was a bit of a disappointment after all my excited anticipation. The absence of Dave Stewart was all too obvious, especially as none of his compositions were played. My dream of hearing my all-time favourite song 'Fitter Stoke Has A Bath' played live was never realised, and there was a distinct air of sloppiness about the concert as a whole. That said, seeing three original members on one stage was still a thrill, and individually they all still cut it, even if the whole proved to be much less than the sum of its parts. Highlights: Richard Sinclair's duo renditions of 'Disassociation' and 'In The Land Of Grey & Pink' with the mightliy impressive Theo Travis; pretty much the whole of In Cahoots' half hour set, a slowed-down but intense 'Yes/No Interlude' and, of course, 'Share It'.

The Mean Fiddler is a fucking horrible venue, mind. I've no desire to return.

Record-wise, I have dug Mooney Suzuki's mighty rock and roll debut, Camel's 'Mirage' and 'Rain Dances', Joni Mitchell's 'Hejira', Gong's 'Camembert Electrique', Cinerama's 'Torino' and Traffic's 'On The Road'. i have also driven my colleagues mad with Peter Brotzmann's 'Machine Gun'...wwwwooooorraaaaAAGGGHH!!!!!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index