Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Soundtrack to our lives w/e 20/03/05ce
Mar 20, 2005, 10:07
Hi all
the sun is shining again so i dragged myself out of bed early

this week its been an exploration of all things Luna - a bit too nice but then again it is still good simple stuff - sad to see that they have called it a day

marble sheep - for demolition of a spiritual framework - a welcome return of the sheep to heaviness rather than the nicety of the previous few albums
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Re: Soundtrack to our lives w/e 20/03/05ce
Mar 20, 2005, 12:43
Good afternoon

been a loverly weekend in beautiful Bucks here we go with the last weeks sounds.

Julian Cope - Interpreter - class in a glass indeed - one of me all time fave Cope albums of all time

Hawkwind - the Hawk fest continued as I ploughed through the Saga of Hawkwind biog - this week I listened to Xenon Codex from 1988 which I think is pretty good - back to more trad Hawkwind sounds after the heavy metal assault of The Chronicle of The Black Sword, also given a spin Love in Space a live outing from the mid 1990's and the Dawn of Hawkwind compilation which features tracks from the pre Wind bands the Dharma Blues Band and The Famous Cure .

My in car listening this week has been SF Sorrow by the Pretty Things - now I have had this album for years and its been " yeah is ok but nowt special you know" however until now in one of those rare epiphany moments when I reach back into the record collection and unearth some previously hidden treasure SF Sorrow is a case in point - it is good - I can hear echoes of what bands like Traffic and Jethro Tull would later do - in places its almost a blueprint what would come next - a happy discovery.

Saturday afternoon and sunshining down rural Bucks takes on a suumer feeling and Santana's 1st album hits the car stereo - hammond organ and stinging guitar to the fore - perfect.

Baby Bird - Ugly Beautiful - top stuff

Baby Bird - The Happiest Man Alive - an installment from the pre band lo fi years

Reef - Rides - rocks like a good'un

The Beatles - Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - long time no listen, and I think that I have missed it - I had forgotten just how good this is.

On The DVD front - a DVD-R of The Modern Antiquarian - bliss - I feel the need to get out there and see some stones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I think that thats me for another week.

All the best

Joolio

To Be A Rock But Not To Roll

Now playing Julian Cope - Upwards At 45 Degrees
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Mar 20, 2005, 13:12
On a nostalgia fest this week so:-

PINK FAIRIES - Kings of Oblivion
Rockin' sleeze from the top drawer.

BUDGIE - In for the Kill
Personal fave including the mighty 'Hammer and Tongs'.

PERE UBU - The Modern Dance
Hardly unsung I know, 'Laughing' blows me away everytime I hear it.

EDGAR BROUGHTON BAND - Sing Brother Sing
Sorely under appreciated IMO

MAX ROMEO - War Ina Babylon
Sun was shining so got the urge to play some reggae.

PARLET - Invasion of the Booty Snatchers
Superb discotized funk

GITHEAD - Headgit EP
Bought this after seeing them last week and good it is too. Two instrumentals bookend four very Wire like songs. Much, much better than I expected.

All the best everyone, Mark x.
Zos
389 posts

Mar 20, 2005, 13:33
This week has been pretty quiet:

Sonic Temple Assassins - Impact!
Still thinking this is 18 minutes of radness...

An Albatross - We Are the Lazer Viking
8 minutes of radness! Dug this out after seeing them live last week - I see they're touring with Melt Banana soon!

Hawkwind - Space Ritual

A zillion different versions of Stagolee -
http://prewarblues.blogspot.com/ are having Staggerlee week - some great stuff... some not so great stuff too! :o)

Steeleye Span - Hark! The Village Wait/Below the Salt/Commoner's Crown/Now We Are Six/All Around My Hat

Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Mar 20, 2005, 14:28
This week I've been mostly listening to

Peter Walker - Rainy Day Raga (1966)

Wylde Olde Souls - Poems From The Astral Plane (1998) pleasant Fairport style folk rock

Ben Reynolds - Oh Joy and Beyond (2005) acoustic ragas and drones

Culver - Day of the Maniac (2005)

Aekie - S/T (2005) awesome Finnish forest folk weirdness

Leannan Sith - In Search of... (2005)

Iditarod - The River Nektar (2003)

Tower Recordings - Folkscene (2002)

Samhain - Nihil Project (2005) Ozric influenced psych stuff from this Italian bunch

highlight of the week was

Terracid - Evacuation of Earth (2005) superb Kosmische style brain burn from Michael Donelley also of the brilliant tribal acid folk/improv outfit Brothers of the Occult Sisterhood

cheers
BD:)
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Another highlight
Mar 20, 2005, 14:33
Another highlight was a 3 way split CDR from Deserted village featuring tracks by
Peter Wright
The North Sea
Agitated Radio Pilot
very nice indeed
keith a
9570 posts

Mar 20, 2005, 16:08
Yeah the Githead ep is really good - great basslines and Newmans distinctive way with a tune.

Album to follow later this year!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Mar 20, 2005, 17:23
A week of 2-10 shifts at work has me clamping on the headphones when I get home, and having a listening session way into the wee small hours.....

NURSE WITH WOUND - 'Automating Vols 1 & 2'
Excellent compilations of compilation tracks!

CABARET VOLTAIRE - 'Mix-Up'
A great debut album.

NOISEGATE - 'Suspended Animation Vol. 1'
Dark and brooding ambience on the tUMULt label of California.

OUTWARD SOUND ENSEMBLE - 'Cloudburst'
From the Discus label, run by Martin Archer in Sheffield.
A REALLY unsung enterprise with some brilliant releases on offer....
http://www.discus-music.co.uk/dis17cd.htm

MARTIN ARCHER - 'Winter Pilgrim Arriving'
Another gem from Discus.
Featuring Charlie Collins on electronics and flute (amongst other great players), he was in the original line-up of Clock DVA.

CLOCK DVA - 'Thirst'
Dug this LP out earlier in the week, bloody hell !! over 25 years old and still sounds totally bewitching today.
This album should have been HUGE- a timeless classic.

....and DVDs....

The Outer Limits 1 & 2
Original 1960s TV Series......pure heaven!

Have a great week y'all

JT ;-)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Steeleye Span
Mar 20, 2005, 17:59
For those intrigued by Steeleye Span but as yet uinfamiliar I'd reccommend the 2cd Lark In tHe Morning set which has all 3 of the Ashley HUtchings lps in correct order plus non-lp tracks from a couple of singles. Really nice dark stuff, pretty Velvetsy even.

There's a new Ashley HUtchings box set coming out too.
Stevo
Np Lambchop Grumpus
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Mar 20, 2005, 18:05
2 things
Tumult's got a page of MP3s here
http://www.tumult.net/sounds.html

and whhen the f*** is somebody gonna get around to reissuing Thirst by Clock Dva on cd? Been out of print for years.
For some reason there were seemingly as many ties to the Gun Club/JLP from Clock Dva as from the Bags.
Stevo
Np Sparklehorse Painbirds
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index