Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

false prophets
Jul 04, 2001, 12:54
god -don't know how they slipped my mind -stef the singer with the
claw -long black nailssolid with years of nail polish -getting the audience to sit down and have a pow-wow in the middle of the gig
he appears in one of the cages in the Tin machine video

last time i saw them was at the Sir George Robey at the end of 90 -when I'd just goot bacvk from, Belfast -on one of the last ferries to Liverpool and hadn't managed to get to Scotland for the Gun Club

time before that I nearly got my back broken by one of the female mmembers giving me a hug at their end of tour gig in Brighton

ah memories
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Proletariat
Jul 04, 2001, 15:29
Ah yesss!
I was going to mention them,but I was afraid anyone outside of Boston wouldn't have heard of them.
A really great band.I first heard them on the Boston Not LA comp,but their Soma Holiday was very good as well

..haven't heard them in years.
Good to see them remembered

Steven
tube disaster
5 posts

Re: Zoundz
Jul 04, 2001, 19:37
zounds' entire discography is available on a cd, curse of zounds, issued in the late '90s by rugger bugger over there & broken rekids over here. ditto for the mob's let the tribe increase.

similarly, all of dirt's first-incarnation stuff (they re-formed a few years ago & have done at least a couple of 7"s & maybe a live album) is on a 2cd called black & white.

dan
caid
1 posts

the pop group
Jul 04, 2001, 21:01
don't know if anyone mentioned them(didn't want to read every message), but they're(and wire, but i wouldn't consider them unsung.. not by a longshot) one of the only punk bands that i've ever really gotten into. half of the stuff off of "...prostitutes" and "y" still blow just about anything else being made today out of the water. ...i'm also a HUGE siouxsie and the banshees fan, although i would only consider a handful of their songs "punk", and most of these "punk" songs are pretty shitty... i guess i'm more into no wave than punk. punk energy, better sound... imo, of course.
tube disaster
5 posts

Re: Proletariat
Jul 06, 2001, 02:30
i picked up on 'em on boston not l.a., then got the distortion cassette through the mail from the band (via an ad in forced exposure back when it was merely a punk zine, albeit a pretty good one), traded for a tape of 2 wers sets, etc. a couple of years ago they were the subject of a long-overdue 2cd retrospective on the former boston label taang ... only one or 2 things i didn't have, though. *sigh*
Leppo Joove
33 posts

Re: Hurrah for the Maps
Jul 06, 2001, 23:26
Yer right. It's called "View From the City" and I can't find it anywhere, either. They also did a fairly dire re-union gig at the Powerhaus in Islington about ten years ago. Never mind!
Leppo Joove
33 posts

Re: Unsung Punk
Jul 06, 2001, 23:30
Anyone remember Truman's Water? Didn't appear on the scene until around '92, so don't strictly count as a punk band, but they sure sounded like it. A cross between Pavement, very early Sonic Youth and Mission of Burma, their "Of Thick Tum" album on Homestead is ace.
jezyk
4 posts

Re: Unsung Punk
Jul 18, 2001, 20:48
What about Weirdos? Do you agree wth Jon Savage that they were the finest of the LA punk scene? I wonder if anyone from here ever saw them live...

j.
vegetableman
8 posts

Re: Wire
Jul 21, 2001, 15:29
Early on they were very Syd Barrett influenced, so comparisons with early Pink Floyd aint too wide of the mark.
Vox Phantom
104 posts

Re: Wire
Jul 23, 2001, 20:00
Well, hell, they were even on Harvest, weren't they? Mutual Friend is super Syd-floyd...
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index