Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

leatherface
Jul 01, 2001, 15:43
oh right it was here that i came across the mention

saw that great band several times around 89/90 fucken brilliant

would you go with Motorhead meets Husker du as a description of the sound?

Frankie Stubbs dance -and the undersize guitar(at least it looked to be about 3/4 size -like a kiddie thing -frank ain't that large

funny thing that -throughout the summer of 90 i'd wind up at their gigs and then at a festival the next day

in fact it was because i tried to get to see them in edinburgh that i wound up in ireland -indirectly but not knowing where the venue was i wound up staying in a van that was headed for the scorig at the top of scotland and hanging wioth a bunch of people who headed to belfast at the end of the summer
now 11 years later i'm in galway
stevo
Vox Phantom
104 posts

Re: Unsung Punk
Jul 01, 2001, 16:31
Click on the top of the list by which you want them organised. i.e. click "band" for alphabetical by band, "date" for chronological...
dru
124 posts

Re: Zoundz
Jul 02, 2001, 09:54
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of!
Leppo Joove
33 posts

Jul 02, 2001, 10:53
I don't know Rudi, but I'm in total agreement about the 1st Raincoats LP. Did anybody go and see them when they played the QEH a few weeks ago?
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Jul 03, 2001, 01:41
the evolution into rip rig and panic produced some mighty fine danceable tunes....who could forget Neneh crooning "take your elbow out the soup, your sitting on a chicken"so much so that it has become a nursery rhyme in the fitz household.
tube disaster
5 posts

Re: Hurrah for the Maps
Jul 04, 2001, 00:47
money mountain (greatest hit) may've been the blue orchids' only studio lp, but i know they had a best-of, though the title escapes me since it isn't sitting on my shelves by money mountain at the moment. the first song, the flood, has made it onto any number of mixed tapes i've made.

dan
tube disaster
5 posts

Jul 04, 2001, 00:57
truly unsung? probably an '80s gang-of-4-ish band called the proletariat -- chronologically speaking, my favorite us band after the units & before naked raygun. they're what the go4 would've sounded like without funk underpinnings.

nyc's false prophets had their moments, too. hell, so did phoenix's the nervous & international language, but they sort of forgot to record more than a couple of songs each.

dan
tube disaster
5 posts

Jul 04, 2001, 01:37
that would be can't cheat karma -- b-side of war/subvert. one of the better anarcho bands, along with crass (of course), poison girls, flux of pink indians, omega tribe, hit parade, lost cherrees, the mob, rudimentary peni, the instigators, amebix & quite a few others that don't come to mind at the moment.
Le Samourai
2 posts

Ahhhhh, Leatherface
Jul 04, 2001, 03:34
Yeah Stevo, I gotta agree with you there - Husker Du meets Lemmy all the way. I'd even heard that when Bob Mould toured the UK with Sugar some people who met him backstage said that HE sounded Leatherface.

"I Want The Moon!" and if Frankie Stubbs wants that you know he's gonna get it! Somebody give it to him already before he goes COMPLETELY mental!!!

HA HAAAAAA!!! Le Sam
dru
124 posts

Jul 04, 2001, 09:18
Thanks for that, at least I'll know what I'm looking for in the secondhand shops. Yeah. Omega Tribe I remember as being pretty good. Another good Crass label band you didn't mention in your fine list - Dirt - female singer? Might have been one of those who just did the 1 e.p.

And top marks for bringing up The Mob - Let The Tribe Increase - definite unsung classic Lp. That's another one I'll have to dust off whn I get home!
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index