butthole surfers - locus abortion techni

Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Beebon
1375 posts

butthole surfers - locus abortion techni
Oct 19, 2004, 22:47
....cian

Listening to it now... only the second time i've heard it. Pretty fecking cool aye?

:)
Lugia
970 posts

Re: butthole surfers - locus abortion te
Oct 19, 2004, 22:56
I recall my first encounter with it. One morning, coming down off of some various chemicals, I went over to a friend's house. He sat me down on the couch, saying "You MUST hear this! Right now!"...and slapped on "USSA". Loud.

I remember my reaction to it was something like you might've gotten if someone had aimed an industrial sandblasting gun point-blank at my brain.

I went out and got a copy later that day, of course.
Beebon
1375 posts

Oct 19, 2004, 23:18
Aye!

I read your review the other day, hence me downloading it :)
Must say your review was rather good, as is the album!
Lugia
970 posts

Oct 19, 2004, 23:35
Yus, that whole arc of Surfers albums from "Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac" through "Hairway to Steven" are perhaps one of the great pinnacles of American psychedelia. Ear AND brain-wrenching!

Also in that arc, but far less known, is the Touch and Go sampler "God's Favorite Dog", which includes the hellishly bizarre Daniel Johnston/Butthole Surfers collab "Don't Play Cards With Satan", a couple of missing Surfers tracks (notably "Eindhoven Chicken Massacre"), and related bits of otherwise-unreleased damage such as Killdozer's scarifying version of "Sweet Home Alabama". I have no frickin' idea if this has ever come out on CD, but if I ever find a copy, I'm all over it like white on rice as my cassette copy is just about worn out.
bigariel
38 posts

Oct 20, 2004, 00:31
Hi, I am new here, I usually lurk over in head heritage, could you please tell me what albums you are referring to in "psychic" and "powerless" as I have the others you mention (not the rare stuff unfortunatly,sounds great I love killdozer as well) and they are great stuff
thanks in advance.
Lugia
970 posts

Oct 20, 2004, 02:08
"Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac" is one single title, actually. It's the album prior to "Rembrandt Pussyhorse". Before that is "Live PCP Pep" and "A Brown Reason to Live", which is the first album.

The 'interesting' period is "Psychic...", "Rembrandt...", "Locust...", "Hairway..." and the EPs "Cream Corn from the Socket of Davis" (which is included on the CD of "Rembrandt...") and "Widowmaker". After this came "Pioughd", where the 'commercial rot' began to creep in, and then the Capitol releases, which are really a shadow of the genuine madness of those great 'middle' releases. There's also some live 'legit bootlegs' that the Surfers released themselves from that middle period on their own Latino Bugger Veil label that are worth seeking out.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Also......Humpty Dumpty LSD...
Oct 20, 2004, 03:01
....a collection of tracks culled from compilations, rare gems, alternate versions etc.
It's sort of like a lost Buttholes album!

As I've mentioned on other Buttholes threads, they got some bad press over their courtroom battles with Touch & Go....but I think that when record companies try to rip-off bands they don't usually expect to deal with a crack-shot accountant (Gibby!) in the groups line-up...

I still believe that one day they are going to get together and release a cracker of an album in the mould of the ones between 1985 and 1987....
.....please...do it!

np "Space II" from H.D. LSD

8-]
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

hello!
Oct 20, 2004, 03:04
Come inside....park your hooves up and join in the fun!

>8-]
keith a
9573 posts

Re: hello!
Oct 20, 2004, 09:27
don't listen to him. run away - while you still can ; )
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

God's Favorite Dog
Oct 20, 2004, 09:52
I've got that Lugia, but I don't recall that Daniel Johnston track - maybe it wasn't on the British release. I'd copy the album I have got for you, but I can only do tapes from vinyl - want one?

Oh yeah, it was the Big Black tracks I bought it for, but the Killdozer was what made it great!

x
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index