Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
joudicaa
joudicaa
325 posts

Re: Soundtracks to our Lives w/e 8/8/04
Aug 10, 2004, 23:40
funnily enough , no not yet.
i shall brave it tommorrow at 12 noon, spare a thought.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: Hatfield Review...
Aug 11, 2004, 00:58
Oh, my pleasure Jim. Nice to see that those old reviews still get read. Needless to say I stand by every word. In fact I have recently come to appreciate the eponymous first Hatfields' LP as nearly as good: only the comparatively restrained production causes it to suffer.

I had the pleasure of meeting Hatfields/Caravan bassist/vocalist Richard Sinclair last summer, by the way. I am delighted to report that he is as jovial, down to earth and erudite as his on-record persona indicates. The tragedy is that he is now only a part time musician and is forced to earn a crust from fitting kitchens and bathrooms. Fitter Sinclair has a bath!
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 07:57
Spira Insana - fooking marvellous album that is!
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 08:54
Great album is Rotters Club - the soundtrack to my pre-early teens, along with National Health, Soft Machine, Egg, Gong, Caravan etc etc. Think i actually prefer the first Hatfields album, mainly due to Calyx - Robert Wyatt's vocals are particularly special on that one.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 09:06
I love that first Hatfields album too!

On the recent Wyatt album "Solar Flares Burn For You", he does a version of "Fol De Rol" - nice!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 09:08
I once read that Richard Sinclair was a bit of a demon on the carpentry front...

Also enjoyed your review of "Nice Enough To Eat" - now that was one crackin' comp !!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 11:45
Yeah! That album really shows S.S. really coming into his own via the editing skills and his general 'take' on recorded sound etc.

Bloody Marvellous!! ;-)
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Aug 11, 2004, 11:54
SS recorded Spiral Insana for Torso (the first time he'd actually had proper backing for an album) - and whilst making it a Torso rep kept coming round to his studio, every so often, to check up on what he'd done. Beacuse that album is pretty intricate and bitty, it was hard for SS to show exactly what he had done, so each time the Torso rep came round he was not exactly happy with what SS had done. It was only when the complete thing was put together and as a whole that Torso where anyway happy that SS had put any work in. Even then, they weren't exactly chuffed with the results - can't see why!

Beacuse of this, SS has pretty much stuck to funding all the costs himself - good on him!
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

"Comparatively restrained production"?
Aug 11, 2004, 19:21
What do you mean by "comparatively restrained production"?

By the way, Fitter, have you heard Picchio dal Pozzo's first album? I posted something about it in the "Ahead of their time" thread, but I'm not sure if you saw it.

They were VERY much influenced by Wyatt's work, and their debut is absolutely incredible. Read reviews of it at Gnosis ( http://gnosis2000.net/reviews/picchio.htm ), where it ranks in the top 100, or at the Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock ( http://gepr.net/ph.html#PICCHIODALPOZZO ).

You can also download an MP3 excerpt from

http://tinyurl.com/5xvvd
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

favourite psych reish of 2004 so far!
Aug 11, 2004, 21:18
Been playing this pretty much constantly for last week and a half cos I'm well and truly hooked

Ford Theatre - Trilogy For The Masses

Consists of lengthy organ/electric guitar jams in a "Light My Fire" style but more pacier and some orchestral touches, bloody brilliant and essential if you like the Bosstown psych bands like Ultimate Spinach, The Beacon Street Union and The Freeborne.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index