Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks to our Lives w/e 8/8/04

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
NewObject23
32 posts

Re: Soundtracks to our Lives w/e 8/8/04
Aug 08, 2004, 22:07
Broken Hearted Dragonflies: Insect Electronica from Southeast Asia (Sublime Frequencies) - amazing unaltered, unprocessed recording of dragonflies and cicadas in the SE asian lowlands...sounds like alvin lucier, ryoji ikeda, whitehouse, etc...absolutely stunning high-frequency, textural swoop and insectoid dithers

Thighpaulsandra - Rape Scene and Double Vulgar 2 (Ochre and ?) - Thighpaulsandra's NEW album-length EP of three long in-studio improvisations on ochre records and his as-yet-unreleased sequel to last year's Double Vulgar CD, which WSD/Thresholdhouse have been sitting on forever...it's more excellent overamped glambient-kraut-synth-groove from Thighps but don't look for it, i've gotten a copy from TPS but you're not allowed to hear it!

Comets on Fire - Blue Cathedral - of course...

Devendra Banhart - Nino Rojo - follow up to "Rejoicing in the Hands," yet another superlative collection of fingerpicking and bizarre, precious lyrics in the trademark warble

Nurse With Wound - Angry Eelectric Finger - Three new full-length interpolations of NWW to be released soon on Beta-Lactam Ring Records (new home of England's Hidden Reverse artists), featuring collabs with Jim O'Rourke, Xhol Caravan (ancient hairy kraut-jazz-rockers), irr.app.(ext.) (Matt Waldron's soundscape project) and Cyclobe (ex-Coil kosmische group)...i've got a promo copy, and i can tell you that it's pretty amazing.

Bobby Brown - The Enlightening Beam of Axonda - early-70's California beach bum builds a console of self-made instruments and records this completely whacked and utterly unique concept album relating his inner spiritual journey. I think it's just been reissued, but I've tracked down the vinyl. Love it.

Don Bradshaw-Leather - Distance Between Us - whacked low-fi drone/noise insanity, double album from mid-70's period of drug-induced lunacy

Sunn O))) - White 2 - obviously...

Coil - Black Antlers and Selvaggina Go Back Into the Woods - demo versions of brand new album and live recording of same songs, respectively...both extraordinarily scarce CD-Rs and both quite wonderful.

Dr. Strangely Strange - Kip of the Serenes - so maybe I like the Incredible String Band a little too much, that even these copyists seem pretty nifty to me

and a few more old ones:

Roy Harper - Sophisticated Beggar
Pearls Before Swine - One Nation Underground
John Martyn - Solid Air
Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot/The Spotlight, Kid
Joe Meek - I Hear a New World
Burzum - Filosofem
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

blah blah blah

Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Aug 08, 2004, 23:04
Even though our common mentor despises them, I LOVE Caravan, me. This week a brand new CD issue of 1982's excellent 'Back To Front' album dropped onto my grateful doormat, and what a fine, unsung album it is. It sees the reformation of the classic original line up of Pye Hastings, Richard Coughlan and BOTH Sinclair cousins (Richard and David) after ten years apart, and what a positive influence the now Hatfields and Camel-experienced Richard brings to the band at this juncture. His 'Back To Herne Bay Front' and 'AA Man' are joyous, humourous and gloriously melodic additions to the Caravan songbook, and his lead vocals on cousin Dave's beautiful 'Videos Of Hollywood' are meltingly lovely. Pye Hastings' contributions are well up to his usual Brian Wilson standards, especially 'All Aboard' and 'Bet You Wanna Take it All'. This album sold jack shit first time around and will probably do even worse on shiny. A criminal injustice. Put it right and buy this delightful, awesomely English album at your earliest opportunity;

Yes 'Tormato', which is largely kack, but can be forgiven for the terminally faultless 'On The Silent Wings Of Freedom', by far Yes's most jaw-droppingly excellent track;

Van Morrison 'Saint Dominic's Preview' - all the critics fawn (justifiably) over 'Astral Weeks', but this ain't far behind. The title track is my fave ever Van ditty;

Van Morrison 'What's Wrong With This Picture?' - well Ivan , basically that it's your most effort-free and shite album, full if lyrical crassness and predictable, heard-em-a-million-times-before chord sequences. "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" informs the Man on one of the least 'swinging' dirge like tunes he's ever rendered. Ugh;

Tangerine Dream 'Phaedra' - after 'Faust Tapes', the album that introduced me to the joys of Krautrock. And I'd still put it into the Top 10 of that particular non-genre, even if it did commit the heinous crime of becoming a chart album;

Also, outside the spheres of rock and roll, a lush, muck-cheap Dexter Gordon box set called 'Setting The Pace' that delights my be-bopping toe muscles to the full. A box of Guido Cantelli's radio broadcasts on Music & Arts has also tickled my fancy in parts.

Music. Twice as addictive as heroin and still cheap and legal. I fucking love it.

Love, peace and fuck

Dave x
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Aug 08, 2004, 23:11
you not played that van halen yet? :)
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Aug 08, 2004, 23:25
just blagged the ozric tentakackles back catalogue. not sure if you actually need more than 2 ozrics albums. the virgin reissues of the second two in the radio gnome trilogy which have some nifty out-takes on them. the albums remain peerless but why no flying teapot? seems to be in a strange contractual void since snapper have also just reissued the radio gnime trilogy too.

edgar broughton - oora and inside out. since a got a paltry one response to my broughtons thred i shall pass no comment. great albums tho'

acr - to each and sextet. to each sounds fantastic, sextet less so. flat production, they should have used hannett. knife slits water still sounds good and kether hot knives is one of the bonus tracks, so that's a result.

the cure - a real belter

fred frith - middle of the moment. there's a beautiful dvd on winter to winter. this is the soundtrak out next month on rer/fred's records. frith at his most accessible. beautiful droney with field recordings of tuaregs/circuses and camels

4 cds by vic chestnutt - fuckin' hell. can't get my head round him at the moment

godley and creme - L. their 2nd album after the consequences debacle. bit of an unsung prog masterpiece. zappa meets 10cc. i love this album.

brute force - the king of fuh. a woinderful song

cheers x
Nat Hate
Nat Hate
445 posts

Aug 09, 2004, 09:37
Bob Dylan - Slow Train Coming

Fairport Convention - Liege and Leaf. Taken a long time for me to get this and I must say I'm a bit disappointed. Not a scratch on the Pentangle.

Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight. This is more like it. And I just love that cover art.

Julian Cope - Autogeddon. The world needs more mouth solos.

The Clash - London Calling

Incredible String Band - Incredible String Band. Womankind is a near perfect song.

And some other stuff too.
keith a
9573 posts

Aug 09, 2004, 14:33
APPLECRAFT – the shining city on the hill (I like this one a lot. Not got into their more recent one as much though)

NICK DRAKE – made to love magic

IGGY & STOOGES – raw power (even after all these years, this is a genuinely exciting listen – well, more so I guess as the re-mixed version really rocks – not that I disliked the original!)

RADIOHEAD – there there (not a huge fan of theirs, but this was such an excellent single. Great percussive feel, and I love the way it builds.)

ROGER – this is the shit (particularly enjoying the Overture!)

SONIC YOUTH - sonic nurse

SPARKS – lil beethoven

SHAPESHIFTERS – lola’s theme (still loving this fab pop 45!)

23 SKIDOO – dawning ep (as I remarked off-list to someone here, I thought the lead track was a bit on the bland side when I first got it, but I like it a lot now – just so laidback and lazy and throws up images of smoky jazz clubs in cellars)

V/A – Morrissey: songs to save your life (recent nme freebie. Like the Sack track)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Neubauten
Aug 09, 2004, 17:18
I just got the new Neubauten compi Kalte Sterne which is great. Though I dunno by what logic its missing Stahlversion. I thought it was a clear up of various early compi and single tracks +the a-siide's on there.
Great to finally have the Thirsty Animal/Durstige Tier single on cd. Not so great that there's no sleevenotes or source notes.

Must get Tabula Rasa which was itself a compi of sorts when it came out, mopping up various works for hired projects from the previous couple of years. Also need to get the last 3 Potomak cds I don't have, especially Fuenf auf der cos I don't have it at all. I have the mUte versions of the other 2
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R3B021209

they're selling the cdrs of the gigs from the last tour here
http://neubauten.org/cdrate/order.php
great news to anyone like me who thought they'd wait until after the queue dioed down then found out they'd sold out

tshirts are available from here
http://www.big-stone.de/stores/neubauten/

and I've got one of these 2by 4 tshirts from here which is cool too
http://www.theweathermen.com/acatalog/Einsturzende_Neubauten.html
http://makeashorterlink.com/?C11152209

Stevo
Np Melvin Van Peebles Rated X BY an All White JUry Keeping the cAtfish Company
Juliette Lewis
109 posts

Aug 09, 2004, 17:46
Ozzy Osbourne - "Diary of a Madman"

UFO - "Strangers in the Night"

Francoise Hardy - "The Vogue Years"

Queensryche - "Operation:Mindcrime"
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Liege and Lief
Aug 09, 2004, 18:18
I'd definitely stick with that lp and let it grow on you cos I think it's great. Especially the recent remaster. I'm thinking of getting the 2 that have just come out Angel DElight and Babacombe Lee even though they don't have Richard Thompson on.
Battle of the Field by the Albion Country Band is pretty great too. as is that Lark in the Morning 2cd by Steeleye Span.

Richard +Linda THompson's Pour Down Like Silver is also great if you like Bright Lights. Especially the extended live tracks on the recent reissue.

I'm still trying to find out what this DVD is like
RICHARD & LINDA THOMPSON A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC BBC SPECIAL & OGWT.
Stevo
Np Goats TRicks of THe Shade Do the Dugs dig
Stensil Head
Stensil Head
201 posts

Re: Neubauten
Aug 09, 2004, 18:48
Some nice links there, cheers Stevo. They've just released a 2 CD 'remastered' version of Tabula Rasa aparently, though I've not seen it in any local music stores yet...guess it'll have to be the web after all.
Was gonna pick up Kalte Sterne, looks to have some great stuff on there. I remember having the 'Schwartz' 7" double gatefold pack as a teenster, which was a pretty early release but goodness knows where that went.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index