Negative Reviews

212 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Further thoughts
Jul 11, 2004, 03:12
Thank you, thank you . . . and again! I thank you. I thank all the people who have said nice things about my review, but so far I think MonkeyBoy has described my own feelings about "this issue" better than anyone else, myself included.

Having now read all the responses to this thread, it seems that except for Shrimp & Holy everyone else seems to "get" the review I wrote. My feelings about ELP are complex and a simple "I love it" or "I hate it" review would not have come close to capturing "the truth" about my feelings re: what I do feel is most definitely an UNSUNG band (at least in the present context -- maybe in 1972 they weren't "unsung" but this is 2004 . . . . ELP is so far beyond what is "fashionable" that I think you can make the case for them being a true "underground cult band" today!)

The fact that my review has produced so much response, and so STRONG a response (both pro- and con-) is entirely unexpected to me. I realized when I was writing that review that it was "a little outside the normal boundaries" of Unsung reviews but I in total honesty I never thought it was going to turn into the local version of [Passion of the Christ/Fahrenheit 911]!!!

The intense response has me thinking that I really am on to something re: ELP. I thought I was the only one in a love-hate relationship with them! Apparently not.

But in truth ELP aren't just some easily dismissed "prog dinosaur" band like Phil Collins-era Genesis. If someone reviewed "A Trick Of The Tail" I wouldn't bother to reply cuz that record is so fucking boring you can't even get pissed off at it. Would you even bother? Who's got the time to even complain about the latest Eric Crapton album? But mention ELP, an "irrelevant" band from a long time ago, and suddenly some people go into conniption fits!

In my book they must have been doing something right if they are provoking that level of response 30 years after they disappeared from the scene. If anything, this "controversy" has me more convinced than ever that ELP is a vital band. And, whether you like my review, or the band, or NOT, it's at the very least "a topic worth discussing" for anyone interested in la Historia de la Rock.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index