Negative Reviews

212 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
boy howdy
boy howdy
185 posts

Responsibility &Financial Considerations
Jul 13, 2004, 03:38
It seems that a lot of folks are scrambling for a definition of what reviews do or do not belong here, and a lot of references have been made to the opening page of Unsung.

No one seems to have mentioned Julian's write-up "Some Moral Responsibility & Financial Considerations"?

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/reviews/moralresponsibility.php

Perhaps Holy McGrail has been a little snappy and defensive (and rightly so) in response to the freaking-out this has stirred up. I'd personally stick up for Dog 3000's ELP review (which upon inspection is not a wholly negative review), and I hate ELP, but I think a point was made that there are too many reviews cluttering these servers that a) do not belong here, and b) do not adhere to Julian's guidelines I linked to above.

It's probably a little reductive to say that Unsung is a place for championing "lost rock'n'roll" though that's what I'm primarily interested in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the focus of Unsung IS music from a psychedelic or post-psychedelic mindset. You can call it "gnostic" or "shamanic" or whatever you like, but I think we could all agree that "Minor Threat" doesn't belong here.

I'm eager to see what The Seth Man has to say about this, but I was inspired by his quote: "Better to light a candle than curse the Darkness"

It would certaily be unfortunate if people stopped posting reviews altogether, and if anything this debate has inspired me to whip up another review or two after a lengthy dormancy period. Perhaps others could do the same - show others what types of music/listening/writing this website should be about.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index