Unsung Forum »
Negative Reviews

212 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Negative Reviews
Jul 11, 2004, 09:59
With regard to your last paragraph, I'd like to echo the question asked by one or two others around here (Severin and MonkeyBoy) by askng exactly what your criteria for "Unsung" music is. For instanmce, I was planning on reviewing "25 All-Time Greatest Bubblegum Hits" ( a compilation which only goes up to about 1973 and features the likes of Ohio Express, the Archies and even cartoon characters like Josie & The Pussycats) because I genuinely think, with regard to today's music scene, that this is an undervalued and largely forgotten area of music which deserves a closer listen. Should I still bother, or is this stuff considered too lightweight and mainstream to qualify?

I agree that some of the artists who get reviewed on that board are contentious as to whether they really qualify for "Unsung" status", but on the other hand I hope the reviews section doesn't end up featuring only psychedelia, krautrock, obscure prog and nothing before 1966 or after 1974, because if it does it's going to get pretty boring, and I for one probably won't bother reading it anymore to be honest.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index