Soundtracks Of Our Lives 15/02/04

82 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

You coming round for a Garibaldi tonight
Feb 16, 2004, 18:59
Popular music appreciation is the new wine tasting!

The Homosexuals' Record - Swell Maps meet Jilted John! An immediately likeable CD that transports you back to your teenage bedroom in 1978. Pogo a go-go. Though I don't remember the kneejoints aching quite so much.

Franz Ferdinand - Perhaps not quite so retrospective as The Homosexuals' Record, but this is a damn fine CD. I can hear a hint of The Strokes in the vocal delivery, some Elastica in the guitars (which immediately nods towards the finest post-punkof the 78-80 era; Gang of Four, Wire, Au Pairs, etc.)

The Rapture 'Echoes' - Shades of The Cure, and wholescale robbery of PIL. I really love the new single. When was the last time you heard cowbells? (I'll tell you where, Kings of Leon, that's where!)

Oneida 'Secret Wars' - This is just fucking great! Get hold of it! I insist!

The Von Bondies 'Pawn Shoppe Heart' - Sounds like Detroit! Soledad Stripes et al. I quite like it actually! The first track in particular is a right good stomper!

Lomax - One particular track is on endless cycle in the car; reminds me of 'Hero' from Neu! 75. Don't like the Weller vocal mannerisms when they surface, but definitely worth a few plays. Again, very reminiscent of late 70s/early 80s post punk.

Panjabi MC 'The Album' - Bhangra beats a-plenty. Really quite an aural assault. There's a Jah Wobble track I keep playing with a very Eastern influence; 'Om Namah Shiva'.

I've also listened to two Sum 41 CDs. Sorry!

:o)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index