82 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives 15/02/04
Feb 15, 2004, 19:27
Oneida - Secret Wars
This is great, if you know and like Oneida, then it's pretty much business as usual, but as far as organ driven motor pyche noise goes, they ain't bettered.
My friend Charles says he likes Oneida cos' the music won't be ignored, and it engages you on many levels. I couldn't agree more, another goody, woo hoo!

Colder - Even Colder
Saw the vid' for Crazy Love on 120 minutes ages ago and was meaning to get hold of this, when a certain Canadian buddy stuck it in the post. Tis' great....imagine a more dub heavy / post punk sounding Tarwater and your somewhere in the arena. It's spacious sounding and draws you in from the start, groovy in parts and well wired in others, a perfect record.

Appliance - Are you Earthed ?
This sounds like the bastard son of Spacemen 3 / Spiritualized ans Stereolab. it's amazingly laid back, and pushes all the 'lush' buttons in my frontal lobe. Yeah, it's derivative to a degree, but it's just soooo..If i was a young man and dating, this would be the perfect record to fall in love too (Sigh !")

The Homosexuals' Record
Finally got hold of this from a pal in Manchester...it's great (wow, I'm slightly overusing that record at the moment :)
If you can imagine Wire and Swell Maps setting up in a studio, with various members of The Ruts, The Slits, The early Mekons, bits of Gandg of Four & various Buzzcocks members popping in to add little bits to the recording from time to time, your pretty near the sound of the Homosexuals. Maaan, if they'd od stuck it out...they coulda been contenders..as it is they are stuck in the 'where are they now' file, which is just sooo sad, as everyone intersted in the 'artschool' side of punk should hear this. A Lost Gem!

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Yeah, i know the miseryguts amongst you dismiss this bunch as hype driven morons, but i disagree. Great tunes, intelligent lyrics and they don't take it all to seriously. This is a wonderful debut record. OK so it's a has a BIG 80's influence in it's sound, but i can forgive em' that as it's just sooo damn catchy. You can hear bits of the Teardrops sound, Orange Juice, early white funk of Simple Minds, and dare i say it Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran and lashings of early Dexy's. I got a free 'live in Amsterdam CD' with my copy ,which is just brilliant too. Yeah it's got bum notes and off key bits, but it's just great to hear em' pull it off live. 'Shopping for Blood' sounds like a lost Rough Trade era Fall single and all the usual suspects are there Darts Of Pleasure And the single of the year Take Me Out. If you like a bit of 80's sounding post punk pop with white funk leanings and great lyrics ,then i suggest you run out tomorrow anf buy it, you won't be dissapointed.

Erm and that's about it, hope ya'll have a great week
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index