82 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives 15/02/04
Feb 15, 2004, 23:42
This week's aural experiences:

Leonard Cohen 'Ten New Songs' - that all sound the same, but my - this is a surprisingly moving record. The voice is deeper than ever, almost sinister, but the music strangely hypnotic. Quite his strongest release since the 70's;

Cornershop 'Handcream For A Generation' - a cornucopea of funky ethnic shit. Pick it up in a bargain bin near you and be enthralled. I love this;

Starsailor 'Love Is Here' - bought for £2.39 in the local Our Price closing down sale, and worth at least 50p for the 'Losing My Religion' ripoff that is 'Poor Misguided Fool';

Dave Brubeck Quartet 'At Carnegie Hall' - forget 'Kiss Alive' - THIS is the greatest live double album ever;

Roberta Flack 'Killing Me Softly' - a lovely, lovely record, with an epic version of the aforementioned Cohen's 'Suzanne' that moves me to tears every time;

Slipknot 'Iowa' - bought for £2.39 at the same Our Price sale as the Starsailor album above. And surprisingly invigorating, in a kids' hoody sort of way, providing you pretend that Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower and Morbid Angel never existed;

The Doors 'Waiting For The Sun' - Mojo magazine recently ran a lucid article on why the Doors' mid term catalogue sucked. Well written, but disagreed by this listener who still rates this as the band's finest half hour overall. And hey, 'The Soft Parade' pisses over most other thinking bands' supposed best albums to these ears;

Hatfield and the North 'Hatfield and the North' - fuck the rest, this is the best. Find me a more intense, orgasmic, peel-me-offa-the-wall guitar solo than that of 'Gigantic Land Crabs In Earth Takeover Bid' and I'll gladly buy you your beer for life.

Beethoven 'Fidelio' - in the much-vaunted 1961 Covent Garden Klemperer performance. Don't believe the hype, it's not that great. The sound's poor, and the intrusive audience kill an interpretation that adds nothing to Klemperer's classic studio version (which can be bought for half the price if you shop around).

Tea break over, back on me 'ead...

Good health and listening, all

D x x x x x xx x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index