Soundtracks Of Our Lives 15/02/04

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Gospel
Feb 17, 2004, 21:21
where would Dorothy Love Coates sit in there?

Been searching with my filesharing software. so, are Mary Mary any good?
;-D
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Bobby Conn
Feb 17, 2004, 22:03
I've seen him live at least a dozen times, all in Chicago but not since about 1999!

In the early days he used to do all sorts of weird shows -- one gig his band was Bobby on bass, drum kit, cello & violin. They played string quartetish early Bee Gees arrangements of his tunes.

At another gig he had a turntablist and a female backup singer in a vinyl catsuit, and they sounded like satanic techno.

One time at a record store gig he showed up in bifocals with his hair sprayed grey, sat on a stool and played acoustic guitar, moaning about how old & tired he was between every song.

Then there was the time the lineup was two guitars thru huge marshalls with a drummer and they played all those same tunes as superloud stoner metal . . .

I get the impression since he grew into an actual touring musician with a touring band that he's gotten somewhat less adventurous! (More consistent in other words -- glam/disco sorta.)
Lugia
970 posts

Feb 18, 2004, 00:06
At least it'll still have more soul than yr.typ. "Contemporary Christian" stuff. Trust me...30 seconds with a Sandi Patti album and you'll be looking around for things to break into sharp shards with which to slit your wrists!
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives 15/02/04
Feb 18, 2004, 11:07
Nah.. not had the Josie and the Pussycats compliation, I don't think.. only had.. the one in the see through purple cover with 'Moon over Boston, Days of Grace, Influenza' on. Or is that it? Hmmmm maybe Mr Vybik is keeping them hmmmmmm :o) Will e.mail you my address at some point...

Turns out Landells CD is by a chappy from Cypress Hill tis rather good and I like it lots!! :o)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Our Price?!
Feb 18, 2004, 11:12
I used to work for Our Price. Gawd but I wish I'd never decided to go into computing for the bucks! Mind you, I left Our Price originally coz I was offered a job in a band - just happened that that didn't make any cash...ho hum.
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Freeheat
Feb 18, 2004, 12:59
No, not much of a change in direction at all, to be honest...

Five track e.p. - the first 2 opening tracks are uptempo ones - albeit more like the more 'up' moments on Darklands than Psychocandy. I particularly like the opening The Two of Us, though Facing Up To The Facts has a nice MBV gtr going on (that's the nearest to a change of direction here!).

Tracks 3 & 4 (Shine On Little Star and The Long Goodbye) are slower, more gentle numbers. If you like the JAMC when Jim Reid sings over an acoustic gtr then you'll love The Long Goodbye. Very good.

It ends with Nobody's Gonna Trip My Wire, a pretty good throwaway thrashy number with someone else other than JR ranting "it's nice to be nice". Not *entirely* sure it's JR singing Facing Up... either - Can't make my mind if it's his voice sounding slightly different or someone sounding like him!

As I said, if you like the JAMC, you're gonna enjoy this one. Dunno if they've done anything else, but this well worth a punt.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Feb 18, 2004, 14:19
Never heard Sandi Patti, but I'm sure she must be quite dull. Funny she hath the same last name I do! (Of course Patti is a common name in Italy -- kinda like Smith...)
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives 15/02/04
Feb 18, 2004, 17:04
Right on Keith. There hasn't been a single New Order album without at least a few gems on it. Brotherhood was patchy but contained enough killer material to be a classic. 1989's Technique seemed like a summation of all the good things about the end of the 80s. Republic was their weakest and the last one was actually good for a bunch of old timers.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: 'Lonesome Tonight'
Feb 18, 2004, 17:05
The washes of electronic pad sounds after Barney intones 'becomes a heart of stone' is truly sublime,
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Nat
Feb 18, 2004, 20:30
Check your St James mail.
:o)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index