Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Jo Cox
Jun 18, 2016, 16:13
Captain Starlet wrote:
As someone who runs a mental health campaign (albeit small) the need for some to label non-Muslim people who do this as mentally ill is completely abhorrent! If he was mentally ill the likelihood is is that any GP would have picked up on it, family and friends would have picked up on it, you can't hide it all of the time.

There's numerous pictures online showing him at bf demos showing he was a well known regular, and with his disgusting comment in court today this eradicates any call that there's mental health issues and that he's an extremist plain and simple! Thing is if the guy looked like a Muslim people wouldn't even be thinking mental health but just that that person was a religious extremist and I see no reason to suggest otherwise here!

The group he's a member of have already been classed as a threat to the UK, publicly declared 'direct action' against Sadiq Khan and Muslims...and their ridiculous list is endless. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

Like most people I found this incredibly depressing - I agree with what you and everyone else has said. No-one seems to have picked up much on the misogynistic element to it. Jo Cox was a woman, she didn't stand a chance - her evil attacker picked on someone who didn't have the physical strength to fight him off.
carol27
747 posts

Jun 18, 2016, 16:41
tjj wrote:
Captain Starlet wrote:
As someone who runs a mental health campaign (albeit small) the need for some to label non-Muslim people who do this as mentally ill is completely abhorrent! If he was mentally ill the likelihood is is that any GP would have picked up on it, family and friends would have picked up on it, you can't hide it all of the time.

There's numerous pictures online showing him at bf demos showing he was a well known regular, and with his disgusting comment in court today this eradicates any call that there's mental health issues and that he's an extremist plain and simple! Thing is if the guy looked like a Muslim people wouldn't even be thinking mental health but just that that person was a religious extremist and I see no reason to suggest otherwise here!

The group he's a member of have already been classed as a threat to the UK, publicly declared 'direct action' against Sadiq Khan and Muslims...and their ridiculous list is endless. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

Like most people I found this incredibly depressing - I agree with what you and everyone else has said. No-one seems to have picked up much on the misogynistic element to it. Jo Cox was a woman, she didn't stand a chance - her evil attacker picked on someone who didn't have the physical strength to fight him off.

Difficult to fight off a gun ain't it.
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Jun 18, 2016, 19:03
Captain Starlet wrote:

From a Guardian report on his court appearance:

The deputy chief magistrate Emma Arbuthnot ordered that Mair be remanded in custody until his next appearance, at the Old Bailey on Monday. He will be held at Belmarsh prison, and Arbuthnot suggested that a psychiatric report be prepared, saying: “Bearing in mind the name he has just given, he ought to be seen by a psychiatrist.”

A Glenn Greenwald piece:

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/17/why-is-the-killer-of-british-mp-jo-cox-not-being-called-a-terrorist/
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Jun 18, 2016, 19:06
I am voting out and aligning myself (if it is as simple as that) Gisela Stuart, George Galloway, Jim Sillars (turn up for the books), Dennis Skinner, all to name a few.
All left wing to varying degree.
The remain campaign has the wonderful George Osborne (the wanker who tried to rob families of tax credits), his pals Dave and Theresa not to mention every right wing capitalist body on the planet.
Christ, Farage and Bojo, who it seems between them are such juggernauts the left would have no chance of ever stopping them but they are going to reorganise the whole of the European Union if only we stay with it.
As for this poor woman, using her death as an example of why we should stay in the EU or not is a bit 'off' IMO.
I am sure the official campaigners won't stoop so low.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2016, 19:56
Jun 18, 2016, 19:13
Captain Starlet wrote:

I was reluctant to reply, but in part you are right Captain Scarlet. Nobody knows what the killers mental health problem may be. If mental illness it is directly responsible, for Jo Cox's killing then by law he would not be responsible. It seems like a racist and directed attack though, giving his past affiliations to the far right, then it could be a racist murder. I think the two things can be seperate in certain circumstances.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2016, 19:22
Jun 18, 2016, 19:21
carol27 wrote:
tjj wrote:
Captain Starlet wrote:

Difficult to fight off a gun ain't it.

Yeah. Right wing folks (usually idiot male) are not too big on womens rights either right enough, but 2 or 3 shots and a knife attack are not gonna save anybody. Male or Female.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2016, 19:30
Jun 18, 2016, 19:29
riverman wrote:
Captain Starlet wrote:

The deputy chief magistrate Emma Arbuthnot ordered that Mair be remanded in custody until his next appearance, at the Old Bailey on Monday. He will be held at Belmarsh prison, and Arbuthnot suggested that a psychiatric report be prepared, saying: “Bearing in mind the name he has just given, he ought to be seen by a psychiatrist.”

A Glenn Greenwald piece:

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/17/why-is-the-killer-of-british-mp-jo-cox-not-being-called-a-terrorist/

Whatever you want to call it. It is most definately an assanination with a political motive. And that is tragic. In a so-called democracy.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2016, 19:39
Jun 18, 2016, 19:36
riverman wrote:
Captain Starlet wrote:

A Glenn Greenwald piece:

Pretty much anybody who commits a crime of that magnitude, needs to be seeen by a Psychiatrist.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2016, 20:04
Jun 18, 2016, 19:59
Captain Starlet wrote:

I think he was both a terrorist and mentally ill. Sometimes mentally disturbed people attach themselves to screwed-up ideologies in order to legitimise their actions, and it's a sad fact that the Internet has most likely contributed to this.

I have come across a couple of reports in which his brother confirms he has a history of OCD and depression - but given how underfunded mental health services are in the UK, I find it easy to believe he could have slipped under the radar.

Nonetheless, this was still a hate crime, and deserves to be treated as such.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jun 20, 2016, 17:16
Jun 18, 2016, 20:16
sanshee wrote:
I am voting out and aligning myself (if it is as simple as that) Gisela Stuart, George Galloway, Jim Sillars (turn up for the books), Dennis Skinner, all to name a few.
All left wing to varying degree.
The remain campaign has the wonderful George Osborne (the wanker who tried to rob families of tax credits), his pals Dave and Theresa not to mention every right wing capitalist body on the planet.
Christ, Farage and Bojo, who it seems between them are such juggernauts the left would have no chance of ever stopping them but they are going to reorganise the whole of the European Union if only we stay with it.
As for this poor woman, using her death as an example of why we should stay in the EU or not is a bit 'off' IMO.
I am sure the official campaigners won't stoop so low.

Bloody hell. Bit of an over-reaction, don't you think? I'm not using her death to score political points, and given how clear she made her own pro-EU beliefs I highly doubt she'd have seen it that way.

I also didn't imply that all those who are voting to leave are neo-Nazi wingnuts. Of course there are people on all sides of the political spectrum with different views re. the EU referendum - but you can't deny that some, poisonous xenophobic attitudes have been swept up in the Brexit campaign, of which this is the ugliest and most extreme example. There's a reader quote from the Independent's comments section which sums it up for me - "Not all outers are racist, but all racists will vote out".

I'd be genuinely interested in how you think leaving the EU will benefit us. My view is better the devil you know. Plus George Galloway is a charlatan and an utter plank, regardless of the fact that he's a (nominal) left-winger.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index