Jo Cox

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jo Cox
Jun 17, 2016, 11:13
Some contributors may not have seen it on the US news, but yesterday British Member of Parliament Jo Cox, was shot dead while holding a surgery for her constituents. The shooter appears to have been a sympathiser of the far right Britain First group, which is seeking to eradicate Islam from this country, although other reports suggest he was mentally ill. Guns are far less easy to obtain here, but somehow he managed to get one.

She was 41, in her first term as an MP and was campaigning for Britain to remain in the EU. Previously she had worked for Oxfam and her maiden speech in Parliament was about bringing people from different faiths and ethnic backgrounds together. She voted to let Syrian refugee children who were on their own into this country and campaigned to boost humanitarian aid to Syria.

On the same day, Nigel Farage (leader of the right wing UKIP) unveiled a new poster campaign with direct parallels to one used in Nazi Germany to "highlight" (i.e. demonise) the problem of immigrants to this country.

The far right is getting more and more out of control. If yesterday's shooter had been a Muslim, there would have been no hesitation in labelling him a terrorist. Because he was white, the media is doing everything it can to play down the political angle, despite the fact that the victim was a politician, with publicly expressed political views, and despite the fact that she was almost certainly targeted because of that, regardless of the mental state of the killer.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Re: Jo Cox
Jun 17, 2016, 11:20
One of the last photographs taken of her was protesting against the ukip EU referendum flotilla on the Thames: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/06/16/100893202_BrendanCox-JoCox-news-large_trans++bSn9vx7rJgtcnJY8fWO43gVBKtv3HO7P7Gtfv44v2rc.jpg

A good and spirited woman. Brought down by an utter no-mark.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jun 17, 2016, 12:08
Yep and it's obvious, as it has been revealed, her killer was a card-carrying nazi, one who had connections to the despicable National Alliance at that. I'll betcha anything this so-called BREXIT scheme (or whatever it is) won't fly for good reason. Methinks the real aims for much of this anti-EU talk has been revealed for everyone, and I can say I don't like it.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jun 17, 2016, 12:34
She was obviously a lovely woman, very public spirited and the country seems shocked at her death. The fact of the killer being right-winged nationalistic scum and mentally unstable is yet to be verified, probably more to do with him being a loner. We can only weep for the loss of such a special person, and the loss of a mother and wife for her family.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2016, 12:56
Jun 17, 2016, 12:45
Lawrence wrote:
Yep and it's obvious, as it has been revealed, her killer was a card-carrying nazi, one who had connections to the despicable National Alliance at that. I'll betcha anything this so-called BREXIT scheme (or whatever it is) won't fly for good reason. Methinks the real aims for much of this anti-EU talk has been revealed for everyone, and I can say I don't like it.

Was just discussing this with a work colleague today. We pretty much agreed that if one good thing comes out of this godalmighty mess it just might convince a few undecided voters who are leaning towards Brexit to stop and think for a minute about the mentality of some of the people they're potentially aligning themselves with. Sadly though, the Brexiteers are still ahead of the Remain voters in the most recent opinion polls.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2016, 15:21
Jun 17, 2016, 12:50
Indeed. R.I.P. Jo. She was that rarest of breeds - a UK politician with integrity and guts. No wonder the poor woman got mown down in her prime. And yes, I'd definitely classify this as an act of terrorism, even though the shooter was in all likelihood mentally unbalanced too.

You only have to look at the differences between the way this case has been reported in the British media and the way last year's Leytonstone tube stabbing was. Needless to say, because the perpetrator was a self-proclaimed Muslim, his twisted religious beliefs were made into the key theme of almost every article I read on the subject, even in the broadsheets.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Jun 17, 2016, 14:15
This bollocks about regaining control of our land... I don't want those people in control. Control is what they're all about.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Jun 17, 2016, 14:16
Careful wording in The Sun, today: "she was murdered by a crazed loner yesterday." Obviously don't want to alienate their readership.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jun 17, 2016, 19:21
If that's really true it's disgusting!
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jun 18, 2016, 13:24
As someone who runs a mental health campaign (albeit small) the need for some to label non-Muslim people who do this as mentally ill is completely abhorrent! If he was mentally ill the likelihood is is that any GP would have picked up on it, family and friends would have picked up on it, you can't hide it all of the time.

There's numerous pictures online showing him at bf demos showing he was a well known regular, and with his disgusting comment in court today this eradicates any call that there's mental health issues and that he's an extremist plain and simple! Thing is if the guy looked like a Muslim people wouldn't even be thinking mental health but just that that person was a religious extremist and I see no reason to suggest otherwise here!

The group he's a member of have already been classed as a threat to the UK, publicly declared 'direct action' against Sadiq Khan and Muslims...and their ridiculous list is endless. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index