IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 07, 2015, 18:09
Re: 10 years old............
Dec 07, 2015, 17:37
dhajjieboy wrote:
IanB wrote:
We could think about the countries where child soldiers are most prevalent and think about why that might be so. Some will argue it is "cultural" or a lack of societal development. Others will claim that it marks a country or region in its final stages prior to collapse, often from an instability caused by external competition over natural resources. Not sure how much the likes of Apple and Samsung and Dell reinvest in say the Congo in return for what they take out and the social price that results from interventions on their behalf (directly or indirectly). Could it ever be enough?

And before you ask yes, I have a Samsung phone, a Dell desktop and an ipod. Which is not to say I wouldn't pay a lot more for tbem to be made blood free.

Thanks for the rational discourse Ian.
Why have so many school girls been subject to school yard bombings in Pakastan these years past?
External causation too?
Cultural Monument obliteration too?
Should Saddam Hussein been left to his own devices and kept Kuwaite as a spoil?
Jihadi John....and 10 year old children.
I'm sorry, but this has got to stop.

To clarify I don't blame Israel or Bilderberg or Cameron or the New World Order or the lizards or any other low hanging fruit targets. Apple and Samsung et al can't help but make everything worse but ultimately I blame the collective "us" for wanting too much shit too cheap (especially food and clothing), for accepting the disposability of too much tech too fast too often (when did you last send anything out for repair?), for completely refusing to accept there is going to be a price paid for the cluster fuck of peak oil and all the inconvenient truths about global warming, for forgetting that the looking glass is two-way, for thinking that our responsibility for the pain of others can be paid off in fair trade this and (PRODUCT) RED that or Live Aid the other. These Millenarian cults we are engaging with are just the first and angriest through the barricades. Chances are that by 2050 everyone is coming and they are going to be seriously pissed off if we just sit here hoping the security on the gated community that is the first world is going to hold out. Not being able to get avocados from Kenya or whether we can compete with China for Spanish strawberries (or vice versa) is going to be the very least of our worries. And whatever happens next isn't something you are going to want film on your fucking iPhone. Religious rivalries will play their part but in end we are consumers not producers in too many key areas and inevitably we are going to be made to dance to someone else's tune. No coalition on earth can kill enough people fast enough to stop that from happening. Not even by arming both sides and then sealing the borders which is kind of what we are doing at the moment. That would have been Harry Truman's way of dealing with it all. Except he would come in the losing side at the last minute without caring who that was or what they stood for.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index