Getting a bit worried about Syria...

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Re: Max Hastings
Dec 03, 2015, 00:16
I wonder if Hilary Benn will take on the job of making an announcement in the commons reporting the first innocent victims of a British bomb and then get a round of applause? I don't think so. Shameful.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 03, 2015, 02:37
I am not sure his father would be proud of him. Corbyn should have imposed a whip. In the end, a reporter on Newsnight said, the majority of the shadow cabinet were apparently behind him(!)...how many riled, like Burnham, by Cameron's 'terrorist' comment I know not. I don't think, from what I watched during the day and evening, Cameron would have dared give a free vote. There were quite a few others apart from Lewis, Davis and Leigh. Done now. Russia will not give up on their strategic hold in Syria lightly, though. What tricks are up others sleeves to bring this about? There is talk of Turkey blockading the Bosphorus to the Black Sea fleet. I have read today, maybe true, that the US has not flown a single strike over Syria since the Russians recently deployed their latest advanced missile system. This will not end well. Had this vote been delayed a fortnight I really wonder if the motion would have been carried. While I totally abhor the bullying, threats and abuse some Labour MPs were subjected to beforehand, there is also the possiblity that some dishing it out may not have been who they purported to be...voices down a phone, unsavoury emailers... we do not live in a very pleasant world. As for the Raqqa 'hub', the Tunisian attack was, so I heard on telly today, planned not there but in Libya, and, as we know, Paris in Belgium. The idea that the Daesh upper echelons are or will be sitting waiting to be attacked in a few buildings in Raqqa is laughable. Only we should be laughing at nothing now. One step closer to the Middle Eastern 'endgame'. Yes, I know I sound like jaundice incarnate, but this could well be horrible.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Turkey's role
Dec 03, 2015, 10:12
Watch RT today. Russia has released their drone and surveillance footage. 8500 oil tankers freely entering Turkey from IS controlled Syria and Iraq. Alleges Erdogan's family at heart. US still disputing evidence.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2015, 10:39
Dec 03, 2015, 10:38
spencer wrote:

Two direct quotes on Newsnight just now: "Hilary Benn substituted intense emotion and passion for rational discussion"....and on the Commons siding with Cameron: "Most of the House is bonkers". As for Burnham, the most vocal leader of the the opposing factioin in the Shadow Cabinet's meeting which made Corbyn give a free vote, as a direct result of Cameron's terrorist comment, he changed his mind and voted against. Too late, 'mate'. Damage done. Damage to follow, and by cross party consensus, innocent blood.

Unreal (or maybe not) that Benn's speech is being hailed for anything other than the hot air it was.
Keunnsberg was saying it is 'awesome'.
WTF?
All it lacked was a spinning bow tie and a pair of tap shoes.
Saw Max Hasting last night, and yes been reading Hitchens' blog again.
Another brilliantly written piece.
Hastings and Hitchens oh aye, two of the wettest liberal lefties on the planet.
Terrorist sympathisers now it seems. Like you and I.
Not one voice from 'the right' has any enthusiasm for what's going on here.
Not even in the military.
Now Corbyn's job is to pick away at this.
And he will.
Frank Field said Benn ought to be in charge.
Really?
Most of the PLP and shadow cabinet backed Corbyn, how dare he.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Re: Turkey's role
Dec 03, 2015, 10:56
Turkey attack Kurds in Iraq, US accepts Kurds are supporting Iraq on the ground, no need for any CCTV evidence there it is widely reported and for some reason not a problem.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Dec 03, 2015, 12:14
Yup. The unlikely swing towards JC is indeed significant. Doubtless the meeja will describe him as embattled. By-election today, QT tonight. Watch.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2015, 12:24
How your MP voted
Dec 03, 2015, 12:16
http://www.bbc.co.uk/politics It seeems even William Hague would have voted against had he been allowed. Ken Livingstone said this morning the action would be pointless without ground troops. It is where they would come from and to what ultimate end beyond the defeat of Daesh in Syria that is the issue. My greatest fear, if that is possible, is that they will be herded or shepherded towards the even greater powderkeg that is Lebanon.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2015, 13:42
Dec 03, 2015, 12:26
spencer"
wrote:
Yup. The unlikely swing towards JC is indeed significant. Doubtless the meeja will describe him as embattled. By-election today, QT tonight. Watch.

Convenient yesterday's debate was held on the last day to canvass.
I suspect there will be a low-ish turnout, as usual in by elections, and there will be a Post Paris 'FFS do not send any refugees here' UKIP surge going on, but whatever, even if Labour wins, they will try to extrapolate from that some sort of Corbyn failing.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Dec 04, 2015, 15:06
Dec 04, 2015, 15:06
sanshee wrote:

spencer wrote:

Convenient yesterday's debate was held on the last day to canvass.
I suspect there will be a low-ish turnout, as usual in by elections, and there will be a Post Paris 'FFS do not send any refugees here' UKIP surge going on, but whatever, even if Labour wins, they will try to extrapolate from that some sort of Corbyn failing.

Labour victory in Oldham, magic!

All the papers were saying 'oh it'll be close, maybe in the low hundreds'.

Well they can stick that in their pipes and smoke it!

What will the whiners say now?

BTW as for de-selection...my thoughts on that are quite a few of them de-selected themselves when they ruled out working with Corbyn before he even got the gig.

Tom Watson on R4 this morning was all knife+fork+plate+words.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

The Sun!!!!!!
Dec 04, 2015, 17:54
Just seen today's front page in a shop: YOU AND WHOSE ARMY? If even the Sun is questioning this 70000 strong ghost, then......... Sun implicitly agrees with Corbyn: I am sitting down. Cam sent the first bombers off iirc 56mins after the vote.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index