Chomsky on Iraq

55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: An analogy
Oct 18, 2002, 12:02
I don't have time for this... but as the alternative is to do some work. . . . . . .

Firstly, you need not worry - any quotes will be placed in context and only used in a positive manner. Though it goes without saying that the article will be biased in favour of one particular viewpoint.
;-)

Secondly, i think you are (probably unwittingly) misrepresenting my stance on the issue of political protest. I am not proposing to stand on the sidelines (whether or not it made me a saint). I have come to certain conclusions regarding the best ways to deal with our current crises. I do not believe that blockading fuel depots is one of them. I believe it would be entirely counter-productive at this moment in history and would not save a single Iraqi life, but might take several in this country.

For that reason - *because i believe what you are proposing will not work, and will in fact do more harm than good* - i can't support it as a tactic. That's not the same as setting up camp on the sidelines and booing. And it's not fair of you to imply that it is.

I take a firm stance against the war (write letters, go on a demo or two... a little more than most, but not as much as many). However it is my firm conviction that the important battle to be fought is the energy policy one. It is there that i put most of my energies, because i believe - in the long term - that it is there that Iraqi lives will be saved. And it is there that American, Irish and Indian lives will be saved too. Don't make the mistake of believing that because someone is not dancing to the beat of your drum, that they're not dancing at all.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index