Chomsky on Iraq

55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Oil War Resistance
Oct 17, 2002, 11:49
No one died as a consequence of the last blockade because it was called off in time (not because the oil companies got cuddly). However i do recall watching interviews with doctors saying that hospitals were finding it more and more difficult to do an efficient job with many of their staff having transportation problems.

Now that could have been anti-protester propaganda at the time - but the issue is a real one. A fuel depot protest ultimately hurts the most needy in society long before it starts to hurt those in power. That's what i believe is crap about the tactic. That's why i had such a problem with the fuel protesters last time (aside from their politics).

Scuppering society because it's about to wage war is only (in my opinion) legitimate if you're not an active part of that society. As i said before - you can't solve a problem until you cease being the root cause of it. And again; "scuppering society" always does most harm to those who depend most upon its infrastructure. How much more suffering will be inflicted upon inner-city tower blocks in the event of energy shortages than upon industry fat cats in country estates? Who can least afford increases in heating bills?

Nah, still don't see blockading fuel depots as a legitimate tactic, myself, but what do i know?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index