U-Know! Forum »
Chomsky on Iraq

55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
YerArseInParsley
365 posts

Re: An analogy
Oct 18, 2002, 11:45
I hope you do revisit the argument next week, just expect a staunch defence if you quote me out of context, as I'm sure you wouldn't.

Anyone who believes it was right to fight fascism 60 years ago is already aware that lives are lost sometimes in order to save a greater number of lives. I am admitting the potential risk to a few UK citizens from my action, as there is a potential risk from a sit-down protest, and I am comfortable with that given the alternative certain slaughter. A couple of UK grannies dying - even my own or even myself - through my own action does not compare at all to the horrors of an Iraqi invasion, and it is moral cowardice not to face that fact and act, imo.

Its the 'battle ye not with monsters lest ye become a monster' belt buckle argument that has led to many foriegn deaths while we act like ostriches. Standing on the sidelines doesn't make you a saint when the shooting starts, even if you are boo-ing.

As to whether the action will succeed, no it probably won't but it certainly won't if I can't persuade people like you. The previous action succeeded mainly because the oil tanker drivers themselves were sympathetic to the hauliers and farmers outside, and yes, the police will treat protestors roughly this time. The same is true of any action at a military base during war time, which is the only alternative protest open to me given my mind set. Public opinion and international law is being ignored until it is manipulated to suit whatever Bush wants.

I can see a few ways that this action can be made to succeed though, without deaths as has been demonstrated. As far as giving the anti-war movement a bad name, well if the war goes ahead the anti-war movement has failed and deserves a bad name. I must say I have pledged to take part in NVDA and hope to keep this action within that criteria, but even NVDA carries potential risks, its all about minimising those risks.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index