grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: An analogy
Oct 17, 2002, 13:52
>
> My last lover was a persian - does that qualify
> as a biological necessity?
>
Not in the sense i was meaning it... but in truth i think that's straying from the point. Ultimately, however, i believe Einstein said it best (as ever) when he said:

"It is the duty of every citizen according to his best capacities to give validity to his convictions in political affairs."

What matters (in many ways) is that we each realise the crimes being carried out in our names and try to resist them in the manner we believe to be best. I do not see it as my job to change people's minds on the issue of energy resources. But i do see it as my job to inform people of my research and allow them to make up their own minds on the subject. Because i believe it's important stuff.

I don't believe that direct action against energy resources is a valid protest. But that is my opinion. I believe it would be counter-productive and lead to more political protection of fossil fuels, not less. I also believe that a threat to the UK's energy resources would see a rightwing shift in public opinion (for a bunch of reasons). And perhaps most importantly, i believe that removing a necessary resource from a population without offering them a replacement is at best irresponsible; at worst downright evil (depending upon how far it goes).

So yeah, that's my opinion really. You're right that i am rather fatalistic regarding this issue. I've spent almost 6 years now greedily consuming as much information about global energy resources and their political effects as i can. And i believe we are no longer at the edge of the cliff; i believe we have actually driven over the edge, though we're unaware of it. We're just waiting for the inevitable catastrophic crash now.

Anyways, that's all just my opinion. I'm a smart guy, and i'm extremely knowledgeable regarding this subject matter. But my analysis is just as likely to be flawed as anyone elses.

And now i shall take a break from this discussion to compund my complicity as i wander down to the market and buy some fresh mangos.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index