U-Know! Forum »
Chomsky on Iraq

55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
YerArseInParsley
365 posts

Re: An analogy
Oct 17, 2002, 13:29
I refuse to admit that wars are going to be fought over oil. Admitting that is giving my blessing to it. Wars are going to be fought over whatever only as long as we allow them to be, and we can stop them not through philosophical discourse by by practicle application.

Men raping women is another trait we haven't evolved out of, but we don't accept it and act as a society to prevent it. So it is with wars.

You are against the war and yet intend to do nothing to prevent it due to fatalism or unforseen consequences of any action. What are the unforseen consequences of doing nothing ? What the bloodily obvious effects of doing nothing ? You admit an oil blockade could damage the government. It would do more than that, it would bring the consequences our aggression home to the UK.

Long term-ism can only be effective if there is a long term and you need short term survival tactics to give your vision a chance.

I disagree with your fatalism more than your analysis, and I appreciate your thoughtful criticism.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index