38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Apr 01, 2012, 16:05
Re: Respect
Apr 01, 2012, 15:07
I never was big on theories. My eyes would glaze over whenever someone started talking about dialectical materialism or whatever.

So I've never been much of one for dogma. I have respect for the militants because I knew them for what they were. Committed, sincere people who were trying to make the world a better place. And I do think that includes (edit: included) Deggsy. He had the charisma, like Kilroy silk for example, to have got an elevated position in the Labour Party without aligning himself with a Trotskyist faction. Probably would have done a lot better for himself if anything.

These days, I'm not aligned with or a member of any political party. I have friends who I still keep in touch with from the Militant/LPYS. Some of them have continued with trades unionist/party political/single issue activism. Others have put their heads back below the parapet.

I agree that we agree :)

Parliamentary democracy is bollocks. Still, as I said right at the beginning, it's nice to have something come along that cocks a snook at the tossers in charge. We seem to spend all of our time fighting a rearguard action just to maintain people's living standards, rather than ever getting to a point where we call for some better alternative.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index