38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Apr 01, 2012, 05:19
Re: Respect
Apr 01, 2012, 05:17
Hatton revealed himself to be what he always was at the end. I can't believe anyone still thinks he had beliefs or any real passion for the cause. Anyroad, you're talking to the wrong guy here, I've no time for reformist or entryist strategies. I never really have. Getting into parliment is not going to fundamentally change anything, no matter how many of you there may be, its a flawed tactic. We'll agree to differ I guess. Never liked Militant, they were just part of the problem that eventually became the scapegoat and the excuse for Labours vicious swing to the right. They did about as much good for this countries politics as the Kodak strike did for the Trade Union movement.

I would like to point out though I said nothing negative about hope. I'm full of optimism personally about the next year or two, but I'm not going to waste time trying to measure the genuine mood and state of the country by looking at election results. Thats just a navel gazing game. Elections have become nothing but job interviews to those who take part, they stopped being part of a real political process some years ago. In much the same and entirely related way that large sections of society have stopped voting in them. To make elections actually worth something to people again you've got to do a hell of a lot more than just wheel out a charismatic individual whose good at 'talking left'.

Myself, I think we've reached the point where all good left and revolutionary left politics have become bankrupt to most people. The tactics of such groups and parties don't seem to work or resonate with people anymore. They don't even work within the groups themselves, who seem to have lost the ability to recognise the difference between a Popular Front organisation and a United Front organisation. Its only in the anarchist groups creating autonomous spaces, and the occupy movement thats created a free university etc, etc, that I see anything approaching something tangible that just.. er... doesn't sound tired or dead.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index