38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Apr 01, 2012, 04:45
Re: Respect
Apr 01, 2012, 04:43
I wonder how Respect would have fared in the polls if they'd fielded a less high profile candidate?

I think making a direct comparison with Hatton and Sheridan is also a little unfair. Both of them were prepared to put their liberty at risk for what they believed in. I'm not sure Galloway would be prepared to do so.

But there is certainly common ground in that whenever some charismatic figure on the left appears, the media are more than happy to give them all the rope they need. So Liverpool, in the minds of the great unwashed became all about some scouse wide boy, preaching revolution with a rolex on his wrist, rather than the houses and schools built, or even the fact that they were standing up to the government, instead of acquiescing. Others, such as Tony Mulhearn and Terry Fields were just as radical but were never going to provide such an easy mark for the right wing press.

I got involved because they offered an alternative. I didn't really get involved because of Derek Hatton, although I became aware of what was happening partly because of the media coverage that he courted.

Hope is not the same thing as expectation. I hope that at least some of the disillusioned, the apathetic, the defeatist, the cynics who insist that all politicians are the same will be prepared to get off their arses and campaign for Respect, or the SLP or whatever, or even if they don't, perhaps they will be prepared to turn up at a polling station and vote for something other than the 3 centre right options.

Not because of George Galloway. Because a corner of the curtain has been lifted on the idea that anything else is a wasted vote.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index