Back in the DHSS

40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PaulMakesMusic
951 posts

Re: Back in the DHSS
Sep 10, 2002, 13:29
Wish I could afford to time-out!
Thanks for your good wishes, and to all the other supportive and erudite comments. Nice to know that not everyone is locked into the rat race.

In my case I was working for the Sainsbury's reward card helpline. I had a customer that rang because her purse had been stolen, and she was worried, not about her card, but about the thieves calling the helpline pretending to be her, and getting more information about her. So I issued her with a brand new card, and changed the details on her old account to meaningless bullshit. Unfortunately, this breached the Data Protection Act, and Sainsbury's, or at least, Consus, the company who run the thing for Sainsbury's, clearly felt that the integrity of their commercial database was more important than the expressed fears of their customers.

Frankly, the job was becoming increasingly repetitive and boring. I was on £4.50/hour, not much over minimum wage. I never had time to look for anything else, because I was working full time. I could have protested against my managers decision to dismiss me, but strangely.... I didn't.

:o) I've probably broken the data protection act again by typing all this. If there's any lawyers or Big Business types reading this... Up yours.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index