U-Know! Forum »
Back in the DHSS

40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mare-C
156 posts

Re: Back in the DHSS
Sep 08, 2002, 16:06
Hope this reassures you PMM. Just out of the same situation myself, got tossed back in May from a big telecoms biz where I'd been toiling away in callcentre purgatorio. Exact same reason, too - taking the concept of "customer service" to the ludicrous extreme of actually taking the customers seriously.

It's a shit business, all considered; I can see all the economic arguments for the callcentre phenomenon, but the end result is always, inevitably, soul-crushing, robotising donkey work. (& I have to say, the last company I worked for weren't actually too draconian as far as contact centres go).

Even though the job was a serious drag, I still felt somewhat humiliated by being chucked (along the lines of; fuck, what does it say about me if I can't even do an idiot job like this...?). Took a bit of DSS timeout to enjoy the summer & recharge my batteries, & also to allow me the space to find something I actually WANTED to do. Feel a whole lot better about myself now as a result, about to start a new job that I'm actually looking forward to (the novelty!)

Hope you can kick back & let it roll off you. I've never met ANYONE in the callcentre world who wasn't seriously belittled by the nature of the work. I mean, NOBODY who wasn't being forced to perform hunchbacked & to the detriment of their imagination & talent.

You're better off out of it. All the best for yr next job, hope you have a peaceful, refreshing timeout in the meantime.

m-C
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index