133 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9564 posts

Re: CS Gas at Peaceful Protest
Feb 10, 2011, 17:57
grufty jim wrote:
keith a wrote:
"After 20 years working for a housing and social care agency in inner-city Birmingham, I joined the IPCC, as one of 18 new commissioners, with the aim of righting injustices. We claimed to be the most powerful civilian oversight body in the world, and we prepared to change the world. Five years on, I decided to leave. So what had gone wrong?"

I don't know. You were there for five years. You tell us.

Maybe having worked in housing and social care for 20 years meant the man was ill-equipped to do the job?

Or maybe you could read the rest of the article to which that is the opening paragraph. Y'know, kicking off a lengthy piece of writing with a question that you then go on to answer is a fairly standard rhetorical device.

I read the rest of the article but thanks for your useful suggestion, Grufty.

And I'm aware of the device, but again thanks for your your help.

Personally I wasn't satisfied, hence my question.

And I don't think he can have it both ways when he says "these statistics disclose a complaints system that fails to identify or punish the minority who abuse their office, and it serves the decent majority ill."

Either this is because the complaints were unfounded - e.g. one of his own verdicts when he was Commissioner "our investigation demonstrates quite clearly that the police officers involved acted in a completely appropriate manner. Their actions in no way caused the collision involving the stolen Mercedes and officers acted in full accordance with their professional duties."

Or they weren't investigated properly. And if this is the case surely he had the authority to make sure this was done and referred the investigation back?

Interesting that you see fit to reply to one of my posts again though, Grufty, despite your announcements otherwise. I guess the desire to be smug was just too over-powering, wasn't it?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index