Topic View: Flat | Threaded
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Re: CS Gas at Peaceful Protest
Feb 01, 2011, 20:00
Merrick wrote:
geoffrey_prime wrote:
If folks are trying to resist/stop arrests..then they are asking for trouble.

Are you really saying that if someone disobeys a police officer then anything that officer does to them is OK?

NO!

Have you seen the video? The use of spray was not on anyone who was in any way a threat.

I said, anyone resisting arrest is asking for trouble.. In this case the Police may have been unjustified in doing what they did. I wasn't there to see it, but if the protesters and/or witnesses feel they have a case, they should lodge a formal complaint.

There is an issue of proportionality you're failing to acknowledge, even before we come to the justice of a given protest's cause and methods set against the police's role of defend the target.

YES! I agree with you, I was making a wider point. Police response to any situation should be proportionate.

geoffrey_prime wrote:
As a taxpayer, I don't want to be paying the bills for the damage / havoc some protesting marches will create

In this instance we're talking about an arrest for putting leaflets through a door. A door to Boots which was so not under attack that staff members treated those attacked with CS spray.

I was making a general point. I agree, in this case, the bill to the taxpayer is not a concern

Even if we ignore the justice element and just go with your tory pounds and pence vision, what do you think the comparative costs are of arresting and detaining someone versus not doing so and permitting the 'havoc' that ensues when they put a leaflet through a door?

I think we agree. I want to see people protesting peacefully and where there are protests I want to see the police protecting the non-protesting general public and public buildings, monuments etc.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index