U-Know! Forum »
Spending Review

Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
wychburyman
951 posts

Spending Review
Oct 19, 2010, 09:15
Can you folk keep an eye out for me, please. I'm waiting to hear if the Royal Family/Civil List will get the 25% min cut everyone else is expecting.

I'm not holding my breath.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 19, 2010, 10:07
Re: Spending Review
Oct 19, 2010, 10:06
wychburyman wrote:
Can you folk keep an eye out for me, please. I'm waiting to hear if the Royal Family/Civil List will get the 25% min cut everyone else is expecting.

I'm not holding my breath.

If this government is going to have any credibility at the polls through all this then there have to be some crowd-pleasing severed heads on pikes. There might be some cosmetic cuts to the Royals but what I think the general populus are waiting for is to see some bankers in the dock. Nothing short of some fairly serious jail terms will satisfy. The Tories will buy themselves an awful lot of latitude with that and they know it. Followed closely by some middle class debt relief measures (caps on credit card interest for one) pre the next election.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Oct 19, 2010, 10:40
I'm expecting a one-off 20% wealth tax on the top 10%.

This group of people have almost half the country's wealth and are 100 times wealthier than the bottom 10%. Taxing them this way would raise £800bn and not make a single one of them homeless. It is also supported by 74% of the population, making it a sound way for the beleaguered government to win back the voters and prove they mean it when they talk of fairness.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/aug/15/deficit-crisis-tax-the-rich

UPDATE: Oh dear, the overwhelming majority of the Cabinet are in the top 10% and enjoy having more money than they can count, so we won't get that tax after all. Never mind, eh? Back to cutting benefits for those who have nothing else.
Myers
Myers
151 posts

Oct 19, 2010, 10:50
I'm worried about the cuts to the armed forces.

Getting some companys to pay their tax bill, and some high earners to pay their fair share could save us all a lot of pain

Instead we get the tory crowd pleasing cry of "catch the benefit cheats".
Myers
Myers
151 posts

Oct 19, 2010, 15:57
Eight percent cut. Believe me when I say that is a terrifying amount.
wychburyman
951 posts

aggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Oct 20, 2010, 13:01
"The Queen has agreed to a one-year cash freeze in the Civil List for next year, says Mr Osborne"
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: aggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Oct 20, 2010, 13:03
That's good of her. Nice to know they'll all be on Sardines on Toast like the rest of us.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Re: Cutty Cut Cut Cut
Oct 20, 2010, 15:00
I work in Education and am fully expecting not to have a job after this academic year. And I only work part-time as it is. Cunts.
wychburyman
951 posts

Oct 20, 2010, 15:51
mingtp wrote:
I work in Education.

Same here, I'm not optimistic
jshell
333 posts

Oct 20, 2010, 16:19
wychburyman wrote:
mingtp wrote:
I work in Education.

Same here, I'm not optimistic

My wife too, but seeing as they are training far more teachers than there are jobs, she can only get supply work.
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index