IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 22, 2010, 15:14
Re: Ian Tomlinson cop: no charges
Jul 22, 2010, 14:21
stray wrote:
IanB wrote:

I don't think it is about numbers on the streets any more. It is about how the activism is reported. The right wing media are gagging for some kind of grass roots, right wing activism. Anti urban, anti immigrant, anti taxation, anti (so-called) big government. Only takes a hanfful of people and the compilicity of the Sun, Mail and Sky news. I don't think that will be great at all. It would be very ugly. The return of Tebbit Toryism without the constraints of party politics. Shudder.

Yeah, christ. You could be on to something here (thinks of Germany in the early 1930s). You know, with the sky news scum (Adam Boulton & Kay Burley) being roundly laughed at..um.. they may be the voice of our silent minority after all. It's really difficult for me to tell as I'm surrounded by like-minded people who find them and their ilk to be completely on the opposing end of sanity and reality.

All we can do is rely on this countries strong aversion to the far right, which, against all reasonable evidence, I still believe exists.

I really hope so. I think the libertarian right could be a magnet for those with a sense of entitlement who are unwilling to blame themselves for their financial troubles. Their views on the hot issues, which are often going to be far to the right of Cameron's own stated positions, are largely unrepresented by this government's public face. It would not be a shock if those views start to surface in a form of organisation that operates outside of party politics. I prfer the Tory right in the Commons where I can see them.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index