IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 22, 2010, 13:22
Re: Ian Tomlinson cop: no charges
Jul 22, 2010, 13:01
Merrick wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
I still think it will add to the sum of demonstrations and direct protest action that is surely coming.

i don't, any more than the letting off of the cops who shot De Menezes or the ones who killed Blair Peach or any of the other thousands of close-ranks-and-nobody-goes-down cases caused any uproar.

I agree. Especially now. Everyone I know who would be engaged enough to consider any kind of activism is just too busy clinging on to the economic ledge. Especially with the growing fear that the safety net is developing an ever increasing number holes. You are more likely to get a riot as a result of further hikes in VAT or interest rates.

What I am expecting is there to be an out-break of protests from the suburbs and the wealthier provincial areas and an increase in middle class activism that will be essentially coming from a right wing libertarian position (though wont be articualted like that in the media) opposing the role of the financial institutions and state apparatus in general.

I know this all sounds a bit like a Ballard novel but I think the hot topic triggering civil diobedience in the near future wont be poverty, wont be the Gulf War, wont be ecology movement or anti capitalism. It's gonna be a populist movement demanding middle class debt relief, lower taxation, minimal govt intervention and the protests will in tone be a close relative of the Countryside Alliance protests of 2002 and the Fuel Protests of 2000. It'll be triggered by something like yesterday's accouncement of the Clydesdale and Yorkshire Bank's cock-up.

The irony for those people who still think of themselves as belonging to the old left is that they could well find themselves siding with a centre right government against the ravages of an odious libertarian protest movement. Hard to believe. Harder to stomach but it seems to be about the right time and the right climate for another outburst of that kind.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index