Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 22, 2010, 13:48
Re: Ian Tomlinson cop: no charges
Jul 22, 2010, 13:47
stray wrote:
I see absolutely no chance of there being any kind of organised middle class activism achieving anything in this country, of either kind being described. Sure, there may be the odd angry protest of handfuls but any kind of genuine state threatening, policy changing, protest is going to come from exactly the same groups of people that it always does. However, those groups may get more support from the middle classes than they have in recent times. but it will be mostly sideline support. nowt wrong with that, that would be great.

I don't think it is about numbers on the streets any more. It is about how the activism is reported. The right wing media are gagging for some kind of grass roots, right wing activism. Anti urban, anti immigrant, anti taxation, anti (so-called) big government. Only takes a handful of people and the compilicity of the Sun, Mail and Sky news. I don't think that will be great at all. It would be very ugly. The return of Tebbit Toryism without the constraints of party politics. Shudder.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index