Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Edited Nov 18, 2009, 16:42
Re: Whalers Beware !
Nov 18, 2009, 16:40
Daminxa wrote:
We're not personally though, are we?

Largely, no. But we were talking about cultural tendencies and deeds. That's why I said 'we have no real moral high ground as a culture'.

Daminxa wrote:
I don't think anyone here (correct me if I'm wrong) would buy teak decking harvested from virgin rainforest

Like I said, the subject in hand isn't individuals within the cultures. However, I do suspect we all eat ex-rainforest palm fat, and I'd bet there's a few crystal healing folks on this board too.

Daminxa wrote:
We can't always hide behind the fact that the UK is guilty of heinous crimes against the environment and not speak out against things like whaling.

I completely agree. But the discussion was about the superiority of our culture compared to the cruelty of Chinese and Japanese culture. Whaling stands out as a significant difference, but on the scale of things when it's all balanced out we have no superiority, only greater squeamishness. As long as we don't *see* our cruelty we tend to be happy with it.

That is, as you rightly say, not an argument for allowing whaling, but an argument for objecting to cruelty wherever we find it. It is, however, an argument against the branding of Chinese and Japanese culture as markedly more cruel than our own.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index