Re: State of confusion. another 30 billion
Nov 06, 2009, 15:06
she can speak up for herself.
joudicca
joudicca
360 posts

Nov 06, 2009, 15:08
look shelbs, labour. tory, whatever, they all piss in the same pot, if you are fucked with blighty and the way it's run, then do what i'm doing and fuck off out of the country...it's turning into a country of thick, rednecks that don't even know what a government is.
joudicca
joudicca
360 posts

Nov 06, 2009, 15:08
or puritanical fucking hypocrites.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Nov 06, 2009, 15:37
sanshee wrote:
I'd go for one of the free market capitalists just to make sure the racist doesn't get in. If the racist got in, I'd be partly to blame.

but wouldn't it also be true of the freemarketeers to say they had your mandate? That you had positively endorsed them? And so you would also be partly to blame for their actions - as vicious and repressive as any racists.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 06, 2009, 15:38
PMM wrote:
Aye, but I have to be true to myself. I'm not stressed about it, but fighting for what I believe in is part of who I am.

Good for you. It isn't always easy is it?

I know we haven't always seen eye to eye PMM, but this thread has given me a new-found respect for you mate. I like someone who stands up for what they believe in the face of criticism.

I will now be beating a hasty retreat before everyone starts to have a go at me instead!
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Nov 06, 2009, 15:48
PMM wrote:
Why am I spending time arguing the toss with a bunch of people who have no interest in listening, or in changing their beliefs?

Because you're getting it straight in your own head, seeing if they can offer anything that makes their bview make snese, and in a firum like this you're debating partially for the benefit of the reasonable third party reading it.

PMM wrote:
I'm still waiting to hear what you think the TOries would have done differently over the past decade.

whilst I agree that there's nothing damaging Labour have done that the Tories wouldn't, and indeed that Labour have been responsible for hundreds of thousands more killings of people ofcolour than the BNP ever will, and their increase of police powers means far more racist harassment on the streets than the BNP will ever mete out, there are still some saving Labour graces that the Tories would have done very differently. Working Families Tax Credits. Minimum Wage. And, I'd bet, the Renewable Obligation.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Nov 06, 2009, 21:19
Squid Tempest wrote:
I like someone who stands up for what they believe in the face of criticism.

Holy mackerel Squid..... Really???

(It's the weekend, just having a jape!)

;-o
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Nov 06, 2009, 22:26
Nov 06, 2009, 22:00
At no point in this thread have I said what my beliefs are. So there hasn't actually been any criticism of my beliefs. Just criticism of... well, me really :)

Here's how I understand things.

I'm a teacher. There is something that I understand myself to a very high level of detail and I pass on what I understand to other people. They give me money in return.

If I want to share what I know, just telling someone is generally a crap way of doing it. The best learning takes place by a process of guided self observation. So I ask questions. My pupil will respond by either demonstrating understanding, or not. Either outcome will then lead to another question. Generally, after a while, and after breaking down my subject into lots of very simple and rational questions, things will start to make sense to them.

There are rules to this game of course. I never ask a question I don't already know the answer to. And I don't always try to answer any questions that are put to me, with questions of my own. Sometimes just giving an answer is the best way forward.

But that's my chosen subject. I'm not a teacher of politics. I certainly have an opinion, and if quesioned about any aspect of what I believe, I will at least try to give an answer. But I'm not trying to tell anyone what to think. I'm just asking people to think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqq3e03EBQ

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, squid, and thank you to Merrick for providing an answer to my question.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 08, 2009, 16:23
Jim Tones wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
I like someone who stands up for what they believe in the face of criticism.

Holy mackerel Squid..... Really???

(It's the weekend, just having a jape!)

;-o

Hah! Fair point Mr Tones!
Penske666
161 posts

Nov 10, 2009, 16:56
Don't blame the government - blame the civil servants that actually 'run' the country and advise the MP's

Bring back Oliver Cromwell :)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index