God V Science (again)

63 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: God V Science (again)
Sep 17, 2008, 13:24
Yep, yep, totally agree. What I was doing there was constructing an argument, flawed to fuck as you correctly describe, that was an attempt to show that compassion can fulfil an evolutionary goal (using cod evo. psych) and then just leaping to say that compassion is a product of the soul. Ergo, the soul is a product of evolution. Be it that the soul is maybe 12 grams of something inside our brain, a construct of our thoughts, whatever. A shorthand description for why our emotions can more than occasionally act as much against our survival as for them.

What I'm saying is dodgy from beginning to end, but I'm just pointing out that you can crowbar the concept of life containg souls into science, albeit giggleworthy instinctively. Thing is, because of the planck limits etc, there are a lot of accepted scientific theories for which there can never be proofs. Whacking the idea of a soul into another one equally unproveable I reckon is just as valid. But then, I'm really, really uncomfortable doing it as evolutionary biology is most definitely not my field. I can only come at things from philosophy and mathematics (the same thing really), which is why I was trying to highlight in my earlier posts just how far away in terms of how these Christians are acting from their accepted text, and likewise how far these rabid anti-faith scientists are from theres also.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index