63 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Sep 13, 2008, 05:32
Re: God V Science (again)
Sep 13, 2008, 05:26
Yeah you make sense. I can't stand Dawkins, a lot of his ranting sounds worringly fascistic. Basically, what he is saying boils down to, all religious people are dangerous morons who should not be allowed any social responsibilities. Thats a rather concerning elitist judgemental pov yeah ?

God was not always hokum to most scientists, wasnt to Newton, Galileo etc,etc. Dawkins is mostly a knee-jerk reactionary who has no grasp of what religion is at all, and also no sense of history either it seems. He constantly confuses events in history, incorrectly identifying events that were a result of either political expediancy and personal agendas as being the results of religious doctrine. There was a lot of shit done in the name of Marxism too, and thats quite strongly anti-religious. His arguments will always be flawed, wrong and completely fucked up, because he is trying to apply scientific method to socio-political reality. Thats not something science can do. He's giving science a really bad name.

Religion and science are not in opposition, (moreover, the reason we have a lot of early scientific and philosophical works is because various churches saved & stored them) its people that are in opposition, as always. I have a scientific and mathematical background, and I also have a faith, of sorts. I don't believe in Creationism or ID in any of the ways its preached. Frankly as far as the creation of the universe is concerned (or evolution) it doesn't touch my faith at all, they are both non-issues to me. However, I do believe in evolution, physics as I also belive in math. I don't push my faith, I mean, my kids dont even know I have one. Secularism, god yes, always. Secularism is also not that recent a development either really.

Creationists do not represent all christians, also creationists ranting against 'evil science' are not representative of all creationists. More importantly, biblically speaking, christians have no basis to argue against science at all anyway.

Science does not have the tools to analyse religion (evolutionary psychology, maybe, but thats not a science tbh). Philosophy is the only discipline equipped for the science/religion debate, arguably it's also the parent of both religion and science too.

Dawkins should try getting more involved with the Islamic faith, as it encourages scientifc research (on paper) as it's good 'to learn the mind of god'

Sorry, I'm probably not making sense. But this whole anti faith BS from Dawkins et al annoys and concerns me.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index