63 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: God V Science (again)
Sep 17, 2008, 17:37
nigelswift wrote:
Then it comes to me..... what they really don't like is the Book being disrespected because that makes their belief in it's literal nature look stupid. It's all about them....

Yep. It's the doctrine of the house of cards.
Amazing, isn't it, that they are so insecure about their own faith as to think that even one 'error' in the Bible might call into question the whole thing? What sort of all-or-nothing jive is that? Even the vast majority of agnostics, or even Dawkins & Co will agree that there is value in the Book, specifically in regards to certain historical and ethical subjects.

This insecurity is also seen in the riots that followed the cartoon depictions of Mohammed. Why all the rage? Is Islam so wobbly that one little poke from outside is perceived as a mortal insult, and a threat to the Muslim faith?

I would think if a religion were mature enough, it'd be able to brush off these external criticisms calmly. But that's where the ugly truth comes out... there are elements within these religions that react like snarling dogs the second someone steps on their lawn. Which is probably inevitable, tho I don't see the wiser elements in these religions working very hard to quell the extremists. And that just brings up the truth that no religion has a monolithic cohesiveness, not even the Papists. There's just as much squabbling inside the ranks of a religion as there are criticisms coming from outside them. Which is something secular society forgets, sometimes.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index