Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: God V Science (again)
Sep 17, 2008, 16:53
Merrick wrote:
stray wrote:
Emotion = soul, to put it simply...Yes I'm joking, but just showing how not only it's philosophically possible to argue for the existence of the soul

No it's not. It's redefining the word so that it fits something we can't deny.

Of course there is emotion, so to say 'emotion=soul' means we all have to concede the existence of a soul. I could similarly say that respiration=soul and you'd all have to agree.

However, what was being discussed was the soul as commonly described by many Christians. That part of you that survives physical death, the bit that sits before the Lord in the afterlife and receives judgement according to your performance in your worldly life.

That definition (which billions of people subscribe to) is incompatible with evolution for the reasons previously given.

We agree on a lot of stuff Merrick, but not this.

Philosophically there is no reason why the soul could not be a property of self-awareness. That's just one example out of many, and I provide it because it comes quite close to my own view. I recommend you read some James Hillman (he's a post-Jungian psychoanalyst) if you want to explore this particular idea some more.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index